Skip to main content
Topic: Disregard (Read 8050 times) previous topic - next topic

Disregard

I'm assuming that the disregard button means to mark the topic ignore when you've participated in it? Seems like a confusing phrase to use for this feature. But thanks for adding it!!!!! :) Maybe we can change the word to be something more fitting? I can't think of anything right now though. Maybe it would be better to put something in the link title to describe the button.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Re: Disregard

Reply #1

Quote from: IchBin – I can't think of anything right now though.
That's the exact same reason why I used "disregard" lol

Well, the obvious alternatives are:
ignore
unsubscribe
Though:
unsubscribe may be confusing for with the notify (unsubscribe is the wording used to stop receive emails from mailing lists and so on)
ignore may be a confusing name because it reminds the "ignore board" that is a different thing and works slightly differently.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Disregard is a tad clumsy and unclear. The idea of having a title attribute attached to it is not a bad one.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #3

I think that ignore might be a little better than disregard, even if it is a little confused with ignore boards.  But I do like the title idea. We could add titles to all of them. Maybe I'll do that if I get a chance here.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #4

One thing: when you decide the best name, please do not change only the text of the button, but for consistency rename completely everything including variables, controller (and actions), subs, columns, etc. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Ok, idea. For the button text at least. :) Change the button to "Watch topic" or "Unwatch topic", depending on selected state.. Watch and unwatch are commonly used in a few guis for this sort of thing. I assume there are useful non-English equivalents.

This would enable us to get rid of the old "Mark Unread" button, since the watch/unwatch one would do the same job.

For the next button along, change it to just "Send". That will still be clear: "Watch/Unwatch topic" followed by "Send" will obviously mean "Send topic". This way we save clutter and get a result that is less confusing. All good. :)

Reply #6

mmm...watch it's and interesting alternative, yes.

Quote from: Antechinus – This would enable us to get rid of the old "Mark Unread" button, since the watch/unwatch one would do the same job.
???
Not really...
For the "unwatch" is true, but not for any other action.
But for the "watching" state is not true. I may want a topic "watched" to be listed when there are new replies, but I may also want to mark a topic as unread to have it appear in my unread replies with the intention to remember it (I have many around at sm.org (not that I remember why I have them and most likely I'll never read them again, though I have them :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

I believe it would be more fitting to change "notifications" to "subscriptions", where a person can "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" to topics, and rename paypal subscriptions to "purchases". I know that's not likely here, since it is a lot of work to change it all. Although, it has always made more sense to me this way...

Reply #8

Beautiful use of the English language.

I assume it stops topics appearing as unread/showing up in the various lists?

Does it also remove the [New] Status?

Reply #9

Quote from: Antechinus – This would enable us to get rid of the old "Mark Unread" button, since the watch/unwatch one would do the same job.

I've used the Mark Unread topic when I click the [New] button, see that someone has posted a wall of text, and mark it unread so I remember to go back and read it when I actually have time. Watch wouldn't tell me that I haven't read the newest posts yet, so it wouldn't fulfill the duty of Mark Unread.

Reply #10

Quote from: Trekkie101 – I assume it stops topics appearing as unread/showing up in the various lists?
Yep.

One question: at the moment the "disregard" removes the topics from both unread replies and "all unread".
I was thinking that the "all unread" should show them irrespective of the disregard state. What would you prefer?

Nope.

And on the topic: do we keep disregard or do you prefer the watch/unwatch?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

I prefer watch/unwatch. Seems to be a better description of the feature.

Reply #12

Hey, I actually used that new-fangled likes button. :D

Reply #13

Done.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.