Skip to main content
Topic: Strip Footnotes when Quoting (Read 2517 times) previous topic - next topic

Strip Footnotes when Quoting

I have noticed, that when quoting a post that has footnotes, it keeps them.
Is there a way to have it strip the footnotes?

I noticed it in the test topic here:

Never tried it out until now.... LOL

Re: Strip Footnotes when Quoting

Reply #1

Quote from: Burke Knight – I have noticed, that when quoting a post that has footnotes, it keeps them.
Is there a way to have it strip the footnotes?

Yep, they shouldn't be there.

Reply #2

I know this was discussed before, there are several paths one could choose for this, leaving them there was (at the time) what we did. 

This is a kind of a good example, if the text was not there, what would you do, not have the footnote at all? (incomplete post), or make the user click the quote link to navigate back to another thread to see what was said? (bad flow) something other?  There are even issues if its within the same thread, if the quoted post is not on the same page, you have to jump back to get it.  To me the footnote is part of the quote, so what to do?

Its probably one of those things that you will never get agreement on whats "right"  IMO

Reply #3

What about changing the footnote to text in parenthesis?

Reply #4

Another option, may be something in between: on normal text put the footnote as usual. Fine. On quotes, keep the number and show the footnote only as a tooltip of the number (on click or on hover).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Why not have the footnote [#] link back to the original post's footnote area?

Reply #6

Because a footnote is usually (at least on any book I remember I read) always at the bottom of the same page the reference is in.
Linking to the original post (as written by Spuds above) would potentially mean link to a different page in the same topic, or even a completely different topic. Bringing the reader completely out of the context he is in.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – Because a footnote is usually (at least on any book I remember I read) always at the bottom of the same page the reference is in.
Linking to the original post (as written by Spuds above) would potentially mean link to a different page in the same topic, or even a completely different topic. Bringing the reader completely out of the context he is in.

Sure, but that's assuming that a quoted post would have all its relevant context quoted. The link back to the original post exists on a quote just for that reason, so a quoter can show only the snippet of the post that's relevant, and allow the readers to click back to the original post for more context.

I see this as no different.

Reply #8

I dont prefer a link back to original post footnote area on footnote as link to the post is already available via the quote link. I think footnote as tooltip in quote as suggested will be nice.