Skip to main content
Topic: Admin vs Global Moderator (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

Admin vs Global Moderator

Got a client I need to give him some access but he and end user. May I assume it after to make him a Global Mod since I'm assuming he could do some damage as an admin?

Rick

Re: Admin vs Global Moderator

Reply #1

Global mod is not an admin in any way.

Reply #2

What do you mean by "end user", Rick?

You could create a special member group for your customer - maybe one, which is close to the permissions of a "Global Modeator"....and then add (or substract) some permissions your customer needs (or should not have).

But also a (Global) Moderator or a Member could cause some damage, if permissions are abused. :wink:  Permissions always should be selected carefully.

Reply #3

The Global Mod's access and abilities can be changed in the group membership's permissions. Yes, someone in the Admin group can absolutely do much damage. So can someone in the GM if permissions are liberally assigned. 

Reply #4

Quote from: Hometutor – Got a client I need to give him some access but he and end user. May I assume it after to make him a Global Mod since I'm assuming he could do some damage as an admin?

Rick

Hi Rick,

You can create a special users group, assign the specific permissions you want that group to have, withhold the permissions you do not want that group to have, and then put him in that group.

Note: If he is also in another group, and there are any permissions that are explicitly denied for that group (member permissions, board access, what have you) he will be denied those permissions regardless of the permissions you provide in the new group. 

Example - you want him to have God privileges in a particular board only, but he's also in the regular member group that is explicitly DENIED access to that board, he won't have it either..

Likewise if that group has permissions you don't want him to have, as a member of the group he'll have those. Therefore, like Admin, Global Moderator is probably not a group you want him in either.

Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:54:45 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #6

Quote from: Burke Knight –
Quote from: Hometutor – Got a client I need to give him some access but he and end user.

Why does this client need certain access anyway?

Sorry end user means average UI driven person. I use it in the computer repair business. I really just need him to receive notification of posts and replies from any board so he can respond. He's an investor.

Rick

Also, what exactly do you mean by "end user"?

Reply #7

Quote from: Hometutor – I really just need him to receive notification of posts and replies from any board so he can respond. He's an investor.

Rick

OK, If I assume you have a number of different boards, and a number of different groups ("normal users" that can access boards, post and reply, allows email, etc.), each with access to certain boards and not others, the simplest would be to make him a member of all of those groups, (and make sure none of those groups are explicitly denied access to other boards - that is, they are set to either "A" (allow) or "X", as opposed to "D")
("X", in board permissions in this case, means members of this group are denied access unless they are a member of another group that has access).

But, of course, if those groups have permissions that you don't want him to have (you want read and reply, but not create new topics for example), then you'll have to set up a unique group for him and proceed to give that group the permissions you want and keep him out of groups that have permissions you don't want him to have).

Note: he (or you) will have to go to his Profile -> Notifications page -> Board Notifications,  and explicitly sign up for emails in the boards he needs/desires to monitor and RBE (reply by email)..  Boards he has access to will be shown, boards he does not have access to will not be shown.. that's a nice cross-check on his board access permissions (what he can do in those boards depends on the group permissions of each group he's a member of).

If you haven't done this yet, I recommend creating a user account that you can assign to any group or groups, then log in as that user and make sure you can do what you want and not do what you don't want with those permissions. I have one, and it has no group association until I give it one or more. Real handy for checking on user complaints of privileges they have or don't have, things they can see or do or not.)
Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:59:39 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #8

Quote from: Hometutor – I really just need him to receive notification of posts and replies from any board so he can respond. He's an investor.

He can do so just by going to his profile -> Notifications -> Board Notifications
Then check mark all the boards he wants notifications for.