Skip to main content
Topic: Bit of odd stuff at "low" res (Read 4841 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit of odd stuff at "low" res

It's at the "first step" of low-res (when the menu becomes icons), see the attachments next to the avatar.

Re: Bit of odd stuff at "low" res

Reply #1

Why are you having avatars in that location when the screen is so small that icons have to be used for the menu?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

I think thats one of those between sizes.  The querys were set up for standard screen widths, so 480, 640, 800 etc but when you do a 641 or a 801 etc you can get some odd things.  Either the querys need to be updated to cover the "tween" ranges or new querys added to account for folks that narrow a desktop browser windows.

Reply #3

They can always just narrow it another 1 or 2 px. :)

TBH I always expect things like this when dealing with responsive sites. If something's a bit wonky at one wndow size, I just change the size slightly. It's hard to cover absolutely everything, especially when some people use browser sidebars and some don't, etc.

Reply #4

Responsive means adjusting to the screen resolution. Not at the whim of someone dragging a browser window back and forth. lol If we tried to cover every possible resolution that made the theme look weird, we'd have a lot of extra CSS in there that really isn't needed IMO.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #5

Yeah I think the aim should be to provide useful CSS, not theoretically perfect CSS.

Reply #6

Quote from: IchBin – Responsive means adjusting to the screen resolution. Not at the whim of someone dragging a browser window back and forth. lol If we tried to cover every possible resolution that made the theme look weird, we'd have a lot of extra CSS in there that really isn't needed IMO.
Good forward thinking...  ::)

Reply #7

Never mind, it's just the browser I'm using... :-[
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Noticed that odd bahaviour, too.. I'll check.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #9

Quote from: Nao –
Quote from: IchBin – Responsive means adjusting to the screen resolution. Not at the whim of someone dragging a browser window back and forth. lol If we tried to cover every possible resolution that made the theme look weird, we'd have a lot of extra CSS in there that really isn't needed IMO.
Good forward thinking...  ::)

Because everyone drags their browser window around, especially on phones? Cover the most used resolutions of course. But just because the theme looks wonky at 795px wide, doesn't mean we should adjust for that when it looks great at 800px.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #10

People may not be resiwing their window all the time. But they also may not be maximizing it. So if they decide to keep their window at 795px*500px so they can keep other things in view, are they to be shunned out of a proper layout?

Reply #11

I feel similarly to Nao on this.  I know few people that keep their desktop browser on some cardinal size.

Reply #12

Quote from: Nao – People may not be resiwing their window all the time. But they also may not be maximizing it. So if they decide to keep their window at 795px*500px so they can keep other things in view, are they to be shunned out of a proper layout?

Just because an item or two is a little mis-aligned or out of place doesn't mean they aren't receiving a proper layout.

Reply #13

Though if it is possible to fix it it's better! :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Quote from: emanuele – Though if it is possible to fix it it's better! :P

I agree. My point being that if you are going to go through all layout and look at all 1000 pixel widths between the main resolutions, you are going to have a bunch of bloat CSS.