Skip to main content
Topic: Installing new theme (Read 1783 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing new theme

Hi All,

First of all, nice work with this new forum software. Currently using SMF 2,0,13 for my forum but I'm playing with ElkArte and seriously considering to migrate my forum.

But I have an issue : when I install a new theme, I can't use it. How do I proceed :
1. I download a theme from this site
2. Via Admin->Configuration ->Theme Management -> Manage and Install, I upload the zip file and install it via "Install a new theme"
3. I get a confirmation that the new theme is installed succesfully
So far, so good...

However, under "Modify Themes" the newly installed theme is not present. When I go to My Account -> Look and Layout -> Button "Change Theme", I can select the new theme but there is no change.

Whatever I do, I always stay on the default ElkArte theme.

Re: Installing new theme

Reply #1

Small update :

I think I found the problem. By default, the contents of the zipfile is a folder with the theme name that contains another folder with the same theme name. In this second folder are all the necessary files and folders for your theme.

When you upload the theme and install the zipfile, the package manager uploads the entire folder structure in the zipfile. But this means that the forum software does not find the necessary files&folders in the correct location.

My solution (quick&dirty) was to use FileZilla, go to the new theme's folder and moving the files from the second to the first folder.

Problem solved.

For future themes, I'm going to unzip the theme on my computer and rezip only the second folder. Shoud do the trick as well.

Reply #2

Thanks for letting us know about the issue and fix  :)

Could you tell me which theme that was that caused the issue?  Some themes are  "released" as the zip file you get when you download from github, that causes unnecessary nesting of folders.  Just curious which one this was so I could take a look.

Reply #3

I had the issue with "Lazy Day" and "FaceIt". To be honest, I didn't check any other themes.

Reply #4

Oooh. I'll check FaceIt later. Haven't touch it for quite sometimes, I mean quite long time actually. :(

Reply #5

Doh, Lazy Day is mine  :-[  I'll check on it.

Reply #6

Ok. I checked the one in FaceIt theme thread (http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2131.0;attach=2546) and it is fine. I also noted that there was a complaint by @Antechinus about it too but I think I didn't do anything about the zip file (FaceIt100.zip) in the thread as it is correct (not inside another folder).

Now, that said, I went to the theme site and use the download link to download and I got a different zip file (FaceIt-FaceIt100.zip) which has FaceIt-FaceIt100 folder inside it. This is the one referred to in this thread but I don't remember about how it becomes like that. May be it happened during PR to the theme site? I really am not sure.

Anyway, @Spuds, since you are looking at yours too, can you upload the one in the (FaceIt) theme thread to the theme site, instead of using whatever is currently in its download link? Thanks in advance.

And @emanuele45, I am not sure if I remember this right but is there a chance that this behaviour should not has happened and ElkArte should be intelligent enough to search folder inside the zip filfe, and unzip it correctly, since the first layer definitely doesn't have a theme info. Right? :D