Skip to main content
Topic: Board icons usability for themers (Read 15454 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from @todo in index.css

Re: Board icons usability for themers

Reply #15

there's exactly one place for that technique in index.css, the styling of the select boxes.
All other's are part of the editor css, mainly to save a buch of http requests.

Let's be a bit more realistic: how often have you seen a custom theme with it's own editor icons (made from a novice themer)?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #16

Ok, so let's be a bit more realistic. Exactly what awesome benefits do you get from doing the select boxes, and only the select boxes, this way in index.css?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #18

That'd be ok, for the editor buttons, if you comment them all. I still can't see the point of throwing this stuff into index.css though.

Of course, as soon as someone tries to make a dark theme they most likely will want to change all the editor images, for the simple reason that the defaults would be largely illegible on a dark background. Admittedly this is probably not something beginners are likely to attempt, but is something that I and others have done in the past with SMF themes.

Reply #19

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin –
Quote from: groundup – You could just add a comment to tell you what the image is ;)

This is probably the most intelligent reply so far.
Above each data url is a comment like /*background: url('../images/bbc/toggle.png');*/ at least in the BBC.   And of course if they are using the combiner, all those comments are removed so they don't take up any extra space. 

QuoteOk, so let's be a bit more realistic. Exactly what awesome benefits do you get from doing the select boxes, and only the select boxes, this way in index.css?
I did them that way because I was willing to do the work and thats how I chose to do it.  At the time  I felt the select should render with just css and not need another request to fetch a graphic to complete.   Maybe someone will change it in the future, maybe not.  Heck I may pull all that out and bury the looks in javascript, that way I can really have my way with them  bwa hahahahah

Reply #20

I'm up for selects just using CSS, but don't really see why they needed an image there anyway.

Reply #21

About base64... is there a reason you're not doing it like Wedge? I.e. use your combiner to fetch files inside URL tags and if they're smaller than 3 or 4kb (ie small icons), output them as base64.
Of course it only is useful if the final CSS file is gzipped. Check out Class-CSS.php in Wedge for inspiration. At the very end.
That way, Emelia Tamerin won't be able to complain too much. ;)

And base64 is so much better than sprites! Try to put animated smileys into a sprite... :D

Reply #22

Why the gently caress would you want animated smileys in a sprite? :o

Reply #23

That's the point: you can't. So you can't use a sprite for smiley.
But you can use the base64 trick if you want (AFAIU).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

Yes. Look at the Wedge source. If someone uses a smiley somewhere, it adds a CSS file (a few gzipped kb's) with all default smileys, encoded. It really is faster. Especially in the editor.

Reply #25

Quote from: Antechinus – I'm up for selects just using CSS, but don't really see why they needed an image there anyway.
True that ... Just did that so they looked the same in all the browsers, well mostly the same.  It was not the different arrows that was bothersome (to me) but the padding and shadowing that showed up around them.   And some were square and some oval etc ... overall selects are just ugly to deal with.

QuoteAbout base64... is there a reason you're not doing it like Wedge? I.e. use your combiner to fetch files inside URL tags and if they're smaller than 3 or 4kb (ie small icons), output them as base64.
Just never dawned on me to do that !

Reply #26

emanuele was thinking to do that way (or something like that) the addon to change board icons from the admin panel. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #27

That would be cool !

Reply #28

Quote from: Spuds – True that ... Just did that so they looked the same in all the browsers, well mostly the same.  It was not the different arrows that was bothersome (to me) but the padding and shadowing that showed up around them.   And some were square and some oval etc ... overall selects are just ugly to deal with.
Selects are horrible (as are most form elements). Question: how about just using one of the UTF-8 thingies instead of an image? There's stacks of them.

Reply #29

There should be a glyph that would work, some of the better arrows were missing from some of the fonts sets we use, I got caught by that a couple of times.   There should be something we could use out of the font-awesome css as well since thats loaded by default, although in this case one of the standard font glyphs would be better.