Skip to main content
Topic: Like Posts stats (Read 3478 times) previous topic - next topic

Like Posts stats

Hey everyone,

A few days ago I've completed the like posts stats feature for my SMF 'Like posts' mod. Finally, it seems to reach a stable state.

I've started porting the same for elkarte as well over here. Currently, its in a broken state and I'm trying to complete it by weekend. All suggestions/advices are most welcomed.

Re: Like Posts stats

Reply #1

PR

Reply #2

Just a suggestion, how about adding a timestamp column in 'message_likes', as it'll help in creating more meaning full stats, like best liked message in past 1 months etc.

Reply #3

Makes some sense ... @emanuele what do you think?

Reply #4

Guess it's possible, why not?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I'd say yes if the intention is to make this standard in 1.1 ... I don't like adding a column this late in the game for 1.0 but if its the right thing to do for a smooth 1.1, adding a time column is safe, if just a bit messy  O:-)

Reply #7

Missed that one, sorry! :-[

Let's say the general rule of thumb is: once in beta the db-schema should not change until final, unless something is (badly) broken.

This makes much easier testing and upgrading, also it allows to reduce the complexity of the upgrade script/s, making development easier (or at least less messy), because from one version to another there is just one step of upgrade.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Thinking about it a bit, I would say change the db schema (only adding columns though, not renaming or removing) during future patches would be acceptable.
For example for 1.0.1 that change could be added.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

nods ... I was torn writing what I did. 

I was thinking that without the column (unused in 1.0 but populated) would make the 1.1 update immediately useful vs full of lost stats since you can't back build that missing data.  1.01 would minimize the loss for sure and keeps 1.0 on track.

Reply #10

Heres the PR - https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/1761

Just bit confused about which sql file do I need to update while updating from 1.0 to 1.0.1 :-[