Move topic problem?

Hi,

Move topic "Post a redirection topic"    board and topic link not created

QuoteThis topic has been moved to [BOARD] [TOPIC LINK]
Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:35:49 pm by gevv
sorry for my bad english

Re: Move topic problem?

Reply #1

What language are you using? (Sorry, but I'm not that good at recognizing them... :-[)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

@emanuele Turkish, at a first sight. And putting "Bu konu" into the translator confirms it ;)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #3

yes using  Turkish language

+ have the same problem e-mail notification 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

The problem comes from the translation of "movetopic_auto_board" and "movetopic_auto_topic", or, better, from the non-translation of their equivalents in movetopic_default or in the message written.

Turkish right now is translated as:
Code: [Select]
$txt['movetopic_auto_board'] = '[BÖLÜM]';
$txt['movetopic_auto_topic'] = '[KONU ADRESİ]';
$txt['movetopic_default'] = 'Bu konu [BOARD] isimli bölüme taşınmıştır. [TOPIC LINK]';
while the last one should be:
Code: [Select]
$txt['movetopic_default'] = 'Bu konu [BÖLÜM] isimli bölüme taşınmıştır. [KONU ADRESİ]';
The alternative is not to translate $txt['movetopic_auto_board'] and $txt['movetopic_auto_topic'].
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Is there a comment in there for that? That's confusing.

Reply #6

I agree, why translating the variables? :| It's a very bad practice IMO, it's much easier to leave them in the English language and just call them from the source code.

Reply #7

It's a variable that should be used by moderators, so, provided that not even admin are supposed to know a lot about English, I feel it is correct to have these variables in the board language.
The rationale behind my choice to set up the system like I did was that having a similar configuration, you don't need to specify anywhere that a part of the string is not supposed to be translated, you just translate everything and that's it (that is also the behaviour I use when translating: translate any thing unless differently specified).
In this case there was no indication as to what should be translated and what not just because everything was supposed to be translated like for any other string.
Also, at the discretion of the translator, the "variables" can be left in English anywhere they are present (including movetopic_auto_board and movetopic_auto_topic), no need to translate them.

What is actually missing, is a legend next to the textarea with hat explains there are these two "variables", yes, it is true they are inside the default message, but... who knows, maybe on day it will be possible to customize the message.

And just for the record, the least important thing: it has been like that since SMF 1.0, so it's nothing new, and nothing to be surprised about... unless maybe you always used the forum in English. :P

Anyway, if it is so confusion I can either add a note to transifex or change somehow the strings (I would prefer not the latter).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote from: emanuele – It's a variable that should be used by moderators, so, provided that not even admin are supposed to know a lot about English, I feel it is correct to have these variables in the board language.
I kind of misunderstood the whole thing, yes you are right. I was thinking about actual function values being called within those strings, happened to me a few times that if I translated them, they were no longer working but they didn't require actual english words :) Not sure if it's clear but I tried to explain it xD

Quote from: emanuele – What is actually missing, is a legend next to the textarea with hat explains there are these two "variables", yes, it is true they are inside the default message, but... who knows, maybe on day it will be possible to customize the message.
Definitely.

Quote from: emanuele – And just for the record, the least important thing: it has been like that since SMF 1.0, so it's nothing new, and nothing to be surprised about... unless maybe you always used the forum in English. :P
O:-)

Quote from: emanuele – Anyway, if it is so confusion I can either add a note to transifex or change somehow the strings (I would prefer not the latter).
Nah, leave it as it is, just do it in a way that it works correctly though :P

Reply #9

Hi

Thank you for your interest in the problem was solved
sorry for my bad english

Reply #10

Emanuele, it makes perfect sense that they are translated. I just think by themselves they are confusing for translators.

Reply #11

Moved to feature discussion for improvement consideration.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.