Skip to main content
Topic: Backups (Read 11845 times) previous topic - next topic

Backups

I follow your discussion about making ElkArte safer and at this point the question about backups came to mind.

Do you think every forum owner makes regularly backups? I don't think so. So why can't ElkArte offer a simple, easy to use solution for this problem? It would be great: Be the owner of a forum and know that you don't need anything else - your ElkArte installation will have everything you need. Regular backups too.

I know there's a way to make a database backup in the admin panel. But you have to start it yourself, and with SMF in the past the backup can often be incomplete. Is this bug fixed with ElkArte?

What do you think about this idea? Is there a way? Or do we have to inform others about other ways of regluar backups, such as MySQLDumper? Is there a way to make regular ftp backups too? Or is this not neccessary and you think a forum owner should know about these things and find a solution on it's own?

Re: Backups

Reply #1

I like the idea. It should be possible, enter the older backups are deleted automatically from the server. The period for this should be configured individually. Or, depending on the size of the space.
Regards Stephan

Reply #2

Currently, we have a backup after addon's installation with no database but overall we do let the forum owner do a full backup on their own. Tedious, I think, but this actually gives a good value to a forum software. I vote for it.

Or an addon pending this feature to be considered?

Reply #3

The problem with backups is the usual: the backup should reside on a "secure" part of the server (usually a directory not accessible from the web), but most people will not set up the forum like that (or may not even have the option to set it up like that) and may leave these sensitive data in a web-accessible directory, meaning anyone could download and steal them.
The other option could be to send these via some secure connection to another server (but probably that means installing something like I did for my backups uploaded to google drive and so, again, we are ruling out people on shared hostings).

Backups are a touchy argument...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Yeah, I don't know if this is possible in general. I only had an idea. And it seems like not a bad one. ;)

Maybe you can write a script which sends the backup via e-mail to the admin? A function to save the backup on another folder on the server would be great. The admin could save the needed login data in the admin panel, this can be saved encoded in the database of the forum. Again, only ideas.

But speaking of backups on Google Drive... I already searched for a possibility to save my backups on my Google Drive. Can you give me a hint (maybe in a message)?

Reply #5

I thought I posted more, but apparently I didn't. lol
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2540.msg17971#msg17971

I'll try to remember to elaborate, in case you don't see anything, feel free to bump the other topic. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I didn't say I'm interested. My fault.  :D Now I am.  ;)

Re: Backup, what do you use?

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – The problem with backups is the usual: the backup should reside on a "secure" part of the server (usually a directory not accessible from the web), but most people will not set up the forum like that (or may not even have the option to set it up like that) and may leave these sensitive data in a web-accessible directory, meaning anyone could download and steal them.
I am agree with you, and in my opinion backups should be made on an external server. A few years ago, my shared hosting account was hacked, it was not a hack caused by insecure forum/cms, but all server was compromised. I've been lucky that they did not delete files, they only added an x.php file on all my websites with something like this echo "Hacked by ....."; just to prove they hacked those websites. All my backups were on the same ftp, so I think backups in this way are useless.

Now I use a small vps from Linode, I got daily backups of database using AutoMySQLBackup, and every week I do manual backups of FTP and DB using ssh. I know it's not a good solution, but I am going to use the Linode Backups for 2,5$/month
sorry for my bad english

Re: Re: Backup, what do you use?

Reply #8

Well If I can request a feature or addon is auto backup to DropBox/Google Drive. I use this kind of backup (UpDraft Plus) in my WordPress blog, autosync every 4 hours (files and databases). It's been a lifesaver several times when my shared hosting provider being iffy.

Re: Re: Backup, what do you use?

Reply #9

That would be real great!

Reply #10

I am thinking:

1. A php script that could email database as an attachment to gmail - Modify current script and add a bit of this email backup script?
2. It could be configured to send that email on certain period of time - a scheduled task addon for this?
3. Configure email attachment as part of google drive files based on this tip / trick.

Reply #11

Quote from: ahrasis – I am thinking:

1. A php script that could email database as an attachment to gmail - Modify current script and add a bit of this email backup script?
2. It could be configured to send that email on certain period of time - a scheduled task addon for this?
3. Configure email attachment as part of google drive files based on this tip / trick.

How would this handle large DB backups?  For example, I have one SMF install where my morning download consists of a gz file that, as of this morning, is 215,516kb.  Not sure that would email well.  I'm not saying I'm against the idea.  I'm simply wondering how certain issues could be handled.  ;)

Yeah, that is SMF.  But it could get the Elkarte treatment should OI come to support 2.1.  ;D 

Reply #12

upload to dropbox/google drive can be a solution when the filesize is big and not suitable for email. I ran wordpress backup plugin everyday for a site that almost 1GB in size including files and database. from a shared hosting.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #13

Well, if we can use and send email from our forum using gmail, I think we should be able to send a large enough database file attachment to our own email. Do check on gmail limits for this which is 25MB but I think, you can overcome that with google drive trick.

Reply #14

Feature creep! It's a forum. There are excellent backup tools around. If we get in to that game, we lose focus and development of the forum grinds to a halt.