Skip to main content
Topic: Update to beta3 stuck (Read 2513 times) previous topic - next topic

Update to beta3 stuck

Tried to update a beta2 to beta3 this morning, but it got stuck on step 4. Seems a variable is missing? (see screenshot)

Any way to get past it? Other than installing beta3 from scratch, which i will be doing next.

Re: Update to beta3 stuck

Reply #1

In general there is no need to run upgrade from beta to beta (or from beta to final for the matter), ElkArte policy is to freeze any database schema change when the first beta is released (and even now I added a new setting, the backward compatibility is still there, so it should work all the same... mostly, I just realized I did it the other way around this time), that way update to final is just a matter of overwriting the files (better delete the folders and replacement them, but usually overwriting is enough).
In that case it may very well be a bug in the upgrade process anyway, I'll try to check it today with an upgrade from 1.0.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I see. I am not sure I moved upgrade.php into root folder by old habit lol, but I'll try again without doing that. Installing beta3 fresh was no problem btw.

How do you look upon theme compability between 1.0.9 and 1.1beta? Will themes work as before? (haven't actually tested that myself yet)

Reply #3

Quote from: Bloc – I see. I am not sure I moved upgrade.php into root folder by old habit lol
I don't think upgrade.php will work if you move it up in the root.

Quote from: Bloc – How do you look upon theme compability between 1.0.9 and 1.1beta? Will themes work as before? (haven't actually tested that myself yet)
I feel like there will be problems.
TBH I can't fill a list of the things that it should be taken into account.
One day I'd like to have no drastic theme changes from minor to minor, but for the moment it's not yet the case. :(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I'll certainly help to see what will break, my goal is to have versions for both 1.0.9 and 1.1 going.

That said, I see that Elkarte might go in many directions yet, but hopefully you won't change the theme system so much that its hard to keep up heh :) I feel theres a need to a somewhat stable theme base, especially for the theme makers to start making awesome designs.

Reply #5

Provided I'm completely ignorant in theming, my idea is (one day) to have a theme for each major versions (i.e. 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, etc.), while minor versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.) will use always the same.
That is basically the same idea behind API-deprecation: major versions break, minor add but do not break, micro just fix things.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Perfectly acceptable. :)

Reply #7

Can beta3 upgrade.php be used to upgrade a 1.0 forum yet?

Reply #8

As usual it should unless of bugs, but judging by the report here, it looks like there is a bug... except, looking at it more deeply, it looks like the problem is "just" that it was not supposed to be run and so the upgrade exited with just 0 updates, but some code didn't expect this result and failed.
You can give it a try on a test site as usual... sorry for not being able to give more details. :(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

It's ok. I asked because I haven't got a chance to test it yet. Will do it later on.

Reply #10

I can confirm the problem is that when there is nothing to do, the upgrade is not able to recover and fails[1]... Though, now that I think about it, the problem could also be that the upgrade doesn't pick the "1.1" upgrade path if it is already in a 1.1-dev state... okay let's rephrase: upgrade should always start from the x.(y-1) version to run, because in the meantime there could be something worth applying (e.g. some setting introduced or alike), though the current one just picks anything strictly higher than x.y.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.