Skip to main content
Topic: Howdy folks (Read 5020 times) previous topic - next topic

Howdy folks

Found out about this forum project on AAF, thought I'd join up :)

So far, I am really liking what I am seeing here!

Bit about me... I am a forum addict and I've been running forums since the days before PhpBB1. I own several forums and run several software including IP.Board, XenForo, vBulletin 4.x, SMF 2.0, MyBB and I think that is about it. I own AAF which is a fairly large admin forum, run the official forum for the National Skywarn Program website and I also blog quite a bit maintaining several blogs. I am a security manager and I have two degrees... one in Criminal Justice and the other in Emergency Management/Homeland Security and Intelligence/Counter Intelligence. I am now working on a Masters of Business Administration. I've done security most of my life with some construction and coal mining in between. Currently I am trying to get an armed security position at a nuclear facility (Union, Benefits, More money!). I am addicted to cycling... am a photographer and I chase tornadoes. I'm a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Shriner.

I'm 29, male and born and raised in rural southern Illinois...

That's me :)

Re: Howdy folks

Reply #1

Welcome around here! :D

With all the experience about forum and forum software it immediately comes to my mind a pair of double questions: which one is your favourite and why? Which one is the one you hate more and why? O:-)

Security seems a quite popular topic these days all around the world, there should be good opportunities! :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Hi Shawn, welcome to the site  :)

Glad you like what you are seeing so far, and if you have suggestions please share.  We have been working on the project for a bit over a year at this point, and right now we are working to complete the 1.0 version, we have the early beta out, and will have an updated beta available soon as well.

After that we plan to ta-da work on 1.1, there were/are several areas that we have not added / fixed / updated just yet, plus we want to make sure we get enough feedback so we can adjust our plans if appropriate.

Oh and damn son, thats a lot of degrees !  I only received one and that was some time ago, but did manage to get a couple of minor ones as well due to some changes in direction along the way  :P

Reply #3

I'm into education haha and America seems to require it ::)

Thanks for the welcome :) Glad to be using ElkArte now as of today :D

Reply #4

Congrats on adoption   O:-)

Reply #5

Nice to hear!

As usual feel free to share impressions, bugs, suggestions and so on! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Nice to see another familiar face,  ;)

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – Nice to hear!

As usual feel free to share impressions, bugs, suggestions and so on! ;D

I think its great so far! The only bugs I have really ran into is trying to move boards on the board creation page - it just doesn't want to work. I will try to move one board and another will end up getting moved. I also enabled the calendar and tried to add my own holiday and got an error. But besides that, it is very rich-featured and I see a very positive future for the software :)

Reply #8

Quote from: Shawn Gossman – I think its great so far! The only bugs I have really ran into is trying to move boards on the board creation page - it just doesn't want to work. I will try to move one board and another will end up getting moved.
Have not been able to reproduce this just yet, probably have just not come across the right combination.
Quote from: Shawn Gossman – I also enabled the calendar and tried to add my own holiday and got an error. But besides that, it is very rich-featured and I see a very positive future for the software :)
Fixed the calendar bug, the wrong function name was being called.

Reply #9

If it helps, I was using Firefox, whatever the latest version is. On the moving boards issue that is. I was also attempting to move sub-boards of sub-boards if that helps.