Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte german language files (Read 24365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ElkArte german language files

Reply #15

Quote from: TE –
Quote from: forumsearch0r – In "themes"? WTF.
yep, it's inherited from SMF .. I believe [Unknown] (or whoever placed those files there) put them inside the themes folder because it allows to use different "german" language files in different themes.. It's there since SMF 1.0, maybe even in YaBBSE..
Yeah...nevertheless it's one of the things I proposed to move the languages "somewhere else".
TBH, today I remembered another thing I'd like to see: each language a different directory (much easier in case you need to delete something and much cleaner to me! :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

A "common.php" would rock ("Add", "Member" and stuff).
-

Reply #17

That's mostly index.english.php, things use "everywhere" (if I understood what you mean...but reading again I think I did not).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Oh, OK. Now that's a weird naming.   :-\
-

Reply #19

TODO for any German translators: Find a good German word for "board" in opposite to "forum".
-

Reply #20

Quote from: emanuele – Yeah...nevertheless it's one of the things I proposed to move the languages "somewhere else".
TBH, today I remembered another thing I'd like to see: each language a different directory (much easier in case you need to delete something and much cleaner to me! :P).
Yep, definetly 100% agreed.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #21

forumsearch0r,
thanks for your work on translations, but I had to reject the PR:
QuoteI'll close this PR for several reasons:
 1) your commits need to be signed-off (see our contributors guide for details)
 2) the PR title is x-rated, please use descriptive PR titles for future contributions.
 3) We still haven't decided how to handle translations.Most likely we'll have a seperate Tool for translation or we'll pull them in another repo (elkarte_languages). the main repo should not contain all translations,

However, please don't feel offended by rejecting your Pull request, we appreciate your hard work on translations. But let's discuss it on elkarte.net, first.
We need to determine an appropriate tool for translations first.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #22

Yep! Otherwise it can happen we work on two different sets of translations. If I had startet last weekend that would be fact right now.  :-X

Reply #23

Quote from: TE – 1) your commits need to be signed-off (see our contributors guide for details)
How ironic that, at the same time, I was rejecting a pull request by a Wedge contributor who'd also forgotten to sign-off their commit [1], and that was for a full German translation of the software... ;)
Hint for ElkArte: stop taking ideas from me! Just kidding, I actually love being able to put footnotes into another forum than mine. Real hint 1: ask your contributors to stop even thinking about using SourceTree. I know it's more common in the Bitbucket community than Github, but still, it'd be one less thing to think about. Real hint 2: your footnote implementation is broken, but you're probably not hardcore enough about it to realize. I'll let you have some fun on this, I had mine before :D

Reply #24

Arg...sorry for the misunderstanding!

Actually there is already a repository for the language packs:
https://github.com/elkarte/languages
though it has not been used "in a while"... well, now it's up-to-date, let's add its update to the list of things to do. O:-)

A different repo will allow to pack the files easily. ;D

I'd suggest something like this:
1) (optional but very welcome to avoid duplication) pick a file, post here to say which one you are going to work on,
2) translate it,
3) "commit" it: either pushing it to github if you feel comfortable doing so, or attaching it here and let someone else deal with the commit itself. :) In the case of the file attached here, at least the first time you do, it would be nice a single line declaration you understand the translation is going to be released under the same license of the script itself (i.e. BSD 3-clause), just a formality. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Quote from: Nao – Real hint 1: ask your contributors to stop even thinking about using SourceTree. I know it's more common in the Bitbucket community than Github, but still, it'd be one less thing to think about.
git (the cli one) is the only thing worth using!! :P

Quote from: Nao – Real hint 2: your footnote implementation is broken, but you're probably not hardcore enough about it to realize. I'll let you have some fun on this, I had mine before :D
I noticed it's broken when the footnote starts with a newline and the /me doesn't cope very well with it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #26

Quote from: TE – forumsearch0r,
thanks for your work on translations, but I had to reject the PR:
QuoteI'll close this PR for several reasons:
 1) your commits need to be signed-off (see our contributors guide for details)
 2) the PR title is x-rated, please use descriptive PR titles for future contributions.
 3) We still haven't decided how to handle translations.Most likely we'll have a seperate Tool for translation or we'll pull them in another repo (elkarte_languages). the main repo should not contain all translations,

However, please don't feel offended by rejecting your Pull request, we appreciate your hard work on translations. But let's discuss it on elkarte.net, first.
We need to determine an appropriate tool for translations first.

Uhm...

1) Huh?

And 3) So you reject my translation because you'll have to move the files into a different folder first? And it would totally be too much work for you to just move the German files once you have decided how? So I'll have to start over because you are too lazy to move files into a different folder?

Sorry, no, won't happen. May Jorin do all this stuff alone. I am a translator, not a bureaucrat.

Reply #27

Quote from: forumsearch0r2 – Uhm...

1) Huh?

And 3) So you reject my translation because you'll have to move the files into a different folder first? And it would totally be too much work for you to just move the German files once you have decided how? So I'll have to start over because you are too lazy to move files into a different folder?

Sorry, no, won't happen. May Jorin do all this stuff alone. I am a translator, not a bureaucrat.

1) https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/blob/master/DCO.txt
The reason for the signed-off by is because  we accept commits without a CLA (contributor license agreement).
it's a simple git commit -s

3) As said: don't feel offended. The main issue: we haven't decided if we are using a git repo ( that would be https://github.com/elkarte/languages, not the main ElkArte repo) or another tool. It's not buraucracy  ;)
And by the way: Your work wasn't useless, we can cherry-pick your former commits, but they still need to be signed-off.

Just because a Pull request was rejected doesn't mean the entire work was useless..

If needed I can also reply in german :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #28

1) well, it's not that I would reject a valid PR just for that, though I would really appreciate meaningful messages (I accept jokes too, but the one you used is... a bit out of context TBH).

No, I didn't say I'm going to refuse your translation, though we are not going to put all the translations in the same repo as the "application code" (both to avoid to have many things around in one single repo and to keep the development easier), this is the only thing I know. So in any case these files should go somewhere else.
The code can be picked from the PR at any time, and I'm for sure going to pick it.

Regarding the "appropriate too", yes translate using github is not very efficient (every time a string is added to the English there is to update several files, and strings can end up in different positions leading to inconsistency, etc.), I for one would prefer to use a different tool, but for the moment we have this one.

As per the bureaucrat part... heh I'm not either, but I usually try to follow the guidelines if I can (and if they exist), otherwise if people just do what they want it would become a mess in no time (personal experience :P). I can't see many barriers to any kind of contribution:
1) know a bit of git,
2) sign-off the commits (that depending on the tool you are using may be just add -s to the command line, or add "signes-off name <email@email.com>" in the commit message). Yes, the sign-off is not entirely "mandatory", we could just pick your commit, sign it off on your behalf and push it (double work for us, but doable, I already did it in few occasions), but is nice if you can do it by yourself.

ETA: or what TE said. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #29

Quote from: emanuele – Yes, the sign-off is not entirely "mandatory", we could just pick your commit, sign it off on your behalf and push it

I could live with that. :P
So, essentially, rejection was a weird decision anyway.

(I never knew about the "sign-off" functionality...)
-