Skip to main content
Topic: [RC2] Quote in new thread - save draft - no link to new thread? (Read 4447 times) previous topic - next topic

[RC2] Quote in new thread - save draft - no link to new thread?

Can someone please try these steps:

1. Sart a new topic with a quote from another topic.
2. Save the new post as draft.
3. Edit the draft and post this new thread then.

I am missing the button in the old quoted post which links to the new thread. :o

Re: [RC2] Quote in new thread - save draft - no link to new thread?

Reply #1

Not unexpected, the drafts save only the text and the subject, for both the messages and the PMs, any other option is "forgotten".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

But this button will be there if I post in a new thread without making a pause and save my post as draft?!? Hm, I don't like two different results of the same function only because I used a draft. I can hear the questions: "Where's the link to the new thread? Why is it sometimes there and sometimes not?"  :(

Reply #3

We would have to add another column to the draft table to track / save that option  :(  Since its a db change, I think this would have to wait to 1.1 or 1.01 ?

Reply #4

QuoteThis will save the text of your post, but it will not save attachments, poll or event information.

TBH, if we were to add this one, then why not any other field?
Anyway, I wouldn't become too attached to the "new topic" button, my current idea is to merge it into a multi-quoting feature in 1.1. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Then please think about killing this button. It's not good if a button is only sometimes there, depending on how the user has made his post. Either it is always visible when starting a new topic with a quote or it is always not visible.

Reply #6

It's not that tragic...it's not that without that "button" the discussion is destroyed.
It happens in a very specific case where it is explicitly stated that only the text will be saved and nothing else, that the connection is lost.

I accept it can be improved, but that it should be killed just because is not working perfectly in all the cases is an exaggeration, following that logic many things should be removed just because they have some kind of glitch: the mentions may present an erroneous counter in certain conditions (changing of permissions), urls may not be auto-linked properly when parenthesis or dollar signs are around in the url, the "unwatch" button is shown even if you are not actually following the topic, the WYSIWYG editor doesn't handle perfectly the footnotes, etc.
Should we kill mentions, url autolinking, the unwatch, the WYSIWYG and the footnotes?
I guess no. ;)

Of course that's just my opinion.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

@Spuds I was thinking: while having columns for everything is nice, why don't use a single column and serialize the data?
I see there are columns: smileys_enabled, icon, locked, is_sticky, to_list, outbox.
A single column: "options" (just random name), with all the bunch of data serialized should be easier to use and extend, so in that case, add the "original topic" would be just a matter of adding another element to the array to serialize.
I'm almost tempted to say that id_topic and id_reply may be merged, but this is going a bit too far probably. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote from: emanuele – @Spuds I was thinking: while having columns for everything is nice, why don't use a single column and serialize the data?
I see there are columns: smileys_enabled, icon, locked, is_sticky, to_list, outbox.
A single column: "options" (just random name), with all the bunch of data serialized should be easier to use and extend, so in that case, add the "original topic" would be just a matter of adding another element to the array to serialize.
I'm almost tempted to say that id_topic and id_reply may be merged, but this is going a bit too far probably. lol
Yup, was thinking the same thing when this came up. 

The only reason for those columns was to save db space (and mimic the topic table) since the options are just on/off.  They should be tinyint if I recall, but TBH all thats a nit anyway given that the draft table is finite, or should be and we are only talking about a couple bytes per row (yes I know some will get a spastic colon over that statement :P)

Saving attachments etc gets to be a lot of work, and adding attachments is a quick process anyway.  Polls are messy as well.

We could SIMPLY add a new varchar coluum to handle this case which adds for future and addon flexibility.  Could combine several of the existing fields in this as well, makes the upgrade a little more work though.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – It's not that tragic...it's not that without that "button" the discussion is destroyed.
I think the link in the quote will still take you back to the original thread, so there should be a way back, its just not as well joined. 

Reply #10

I think this makes a lot of sense to merge them in a single field. You can use small key names and use JSON so other applications can edit it.

Reply #11

Quote from: emanuele – Should we kill mentions, url autolinking, the unwatch, the WYSIWYG and the footnotes?
I guess no. ;)

Yes, and then let's write letters!  :D

You're right, such things can happen with other functions too, in special occasions. But this button somehow irritates me, when it's sometimes there and sometimes not. I can live with it, sure, and I will be.