Skip to main content
Topic: Addons Site (Read 12811 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Addons Site

Reply #30

That could work nods

The json file here would just be the topic ids and like count for those topics

Reply #31

Wow, nice holiday gift from the Elkarte team. I see SimplePortal is the first mod listed, which makes me wonder how the mods are sorted now. Must be by awesomeness. ;)

Just a few suggestions. These probably apply to themes, too, I'm just referring to the addon site for simplicity.
-Wishlist (let me add mods/themes to a wishlist so I can view/download them later)
--Bookmarks (alternatively, let me bookmark them)
-Notify about updates (when a mod author pushes an update, let me get auto-notified if I've downloaded or bookmarked the mod)
-Link to Documentation (sometimes mod authors provide this in the Github wiki or Support topic post, but a separate link would be nice when browsing the addon site)
-Link the mod author to their Elkarte profile (or their preferred contact page)
-Link to/popup/hover an explanation of licenses for the uninitiated

One final suggestion for the theme site specifically. REQUIRE a full-size resolution image of the theme. Demo sites sometimes go down or don't work, and it'd be better to include a full-size (not a thumbnail or pared-down size) image of the theme for reference so we don't have to install a theme in order to see what it looks like. Maybe this isn't a problem yet, but too many themes on similar (cough) board sites provide only a thumbnail and it's just a waste.

Reply #32

They are sorted by last update, so SP is at the top since I keep finding things I broke in the port  O:-)

The interactive things we can do the the site is somewhat limited in that its static,  so bookmarks and notifications are not directly possible.  The additional links to things can be added easily, docs, author etc.  Not sure what else to say on the license stuff, the listing page just shows the license, and the details page provides a link or whatever details the author wants to add.  We could llink the OSI icon to the OSI site for more details.

What my longer term plans were/are/tbd/could change/etc is that when you go to the package manager, pacman pulls the current file (small json file) from the addons site and lets you know if any of your installed mods have been updated.  This could also be a done in the main ACP section automatically or perhaps via a check for updates button.  Anyway just ideas on how to link ElkArte to the addon and themes site so there is a bit of integration.

At some point we will have a more consistent plugin methodology so that pure plugin addons could be a 1 click update as well.

Reply #33

emanuele likes how that guy thinks. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #34

Very Nice. :D

Reply #35

Quote from: Spuds – They are sorted by last update, so SP is at the top since I keep finding things I broke in the port  O:-)

The interactive things we can do the the site is somewhat limited in that its static,  so bookmarks and notifications are not directly possible.  The additional links to things can be added easily, docs, author etc.  Not sure what else to say on the license stuff, the listing page just shows the license, and the details page provides a link or whatever details the author wants to add.  We could llink the OSI icon to the OSI site for more details.

What my longer term plans were/are/tbd/could change/etc is that when you go to the package manager, pacman pulls the current file (small json file) from the addons site and lets you know if any of your installed mods have been updated.  This could also be a done in the main ACP section automatically or perhaps via a check for updates button.  Anyway just ideas on how to link ElkArte to the addon and themes site so there is a bit of integration.

At some point we will have a more consistent plugin methodology so that pure plugin addons could be a 1 click update as well.

Why not use Elkarte for a wishlist/bookmarks deal? It would require more integration with the forum, yes, but having a forum profile here is handy anyway to have a quick avenue for support.

The other idea sounds good for marking which mods have been updated. It really seems like the package manager should be smarter than it is. ;)

Reply #36

Tremendous work! Terrific!