Skip to main content
Topic: Current Board Notifications (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

Current Board Notifications

I noticed something strange regarding the Current Board Notifications. Having the very same configuration than the admin account, "normal" users never receieve an email whereas my admin account gets emails as I would expect them. Is this known behaviour, a bug or just me doing something stupid.

Thanks for helping me here.

Re: Current Board Notifications

Reply #1

Hi eisenherzz and welcome. :)

The two settings:
"For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me"
and
"Notify me of topics and boards I've requested notification on"
are set to the same for both accounts?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

admin and normal user have the same configuration regarding the notifications. Admin account gets an email when a new topic started, the other users not. Is there a global setting I oversaw?

Reply #3

I think I found the issue, if @Spuds can confirm it. :P

In validateNotificationAccess, if "maillist" one of the checks is to determine if we are allowed to "post-by-email" on a specific board (see lines from 836 to 843).
But, if we are posting "normally", this permission should not be checked (or at least it should check if the user is allowed to post "normally").
Anyway, the reason is not sending the notifications is because this permission is not granted to the group (I think)... that said, if the post by email is enabled.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I'm not sure this is a post by email issue or not ... if @eisenherzz can confirm he has enabled the maillist functions or if this is just a standard "a new topic was started" message that you would get if the maillist functions are off.

Reply #5

Yep, on this very site, I feel notifications are not send out for this reason (at least for my account that has a moderator as primary group).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Sounds like you have confirmed it them  :D

Reply #7

Post by e-mail (mailinglist) is activated on my board (and assumedly I am the only one using it). So by deactivating this feature as a workaround, notifications will work again? Will test it this evening.

Reply #8

Yep, that's my suspect.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Can confirm this is a workaround. I temporarily deactivated mailinglist feature and notifications work again for non admin users.