Skip to main content
Topic: Is RSS only outbound? (Read 1768 times) previous topic - next topic

Is RSS only outbound?

Is it possible to feed RSS into elk?

I looked over at smf. Seems older versions were only able to rss out.
There are a couple of really old mods, that claim to rss (aggregate) in. But seems they aren't very good. Certainly aren't updated.

Is this still the case with the new core... & in Elk?

What would it take to do, on own site, something like this ... hxxp://www.surfing-waves.com/feed.htm

Re: Is RSS only outbound?

Reply #1

Nope, nothing as far as I know.

First think I'd say it depends where you want to show the feeds.
For example, if you want to show them in a board, the less expensive way is to fetch the feeds at scheduled intervals and "post" the results as it were real posts.
If instead you want to show them somewhere around in the UI, then maybe a little tweak to the template could be enough.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Is RSS only outbound?

Reply #2

Honestly in this period (i.e. in the last couple of years) I've been postponing anything I started and I would not take up other projects that I will not finish.
I can help giving opinions and code, but take care of the whole lot it's too much... :(

On a general note, what I would do is:
1) pick some existing library for feed fetching (either https://github.com/simplepie/simplepie or https://github.com/fguillot/picoFeed for example),
2) of course an admin page to add new feeds,
3) I wouldn't go as far as to create a new whole database table to keep the feeds URL and the "last fetched" timestamp, I would just add a json entry to the settings table (array(index => array(0 => url, 1 => timestamp))),
4) a scheduled task that a) runs the fetcher mentioned in 1) and b) creates the posts as needed (i.e. those appeared after the "last fetched" time).

What I'm not sure from your description is: do you plan on posting any news from the feed, or just one every 24 hours?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.