Skip to main content
Topic: HTML newsletters (Read 4943 times) previous topic - next topic

HTML newsletters

I don't use often this feaure, I usually send 1 html newsletter / year. I did create an html template using mailchimp template creator, this was back in 2014-2015 and I edited some text, images and links to send my last newsletter. I did test it using my hotmail account and the newsletter was displayed correctly, then I sent it. I use an smtp account from sparkpost to send newsletters.

The problem is that on gmail I receive it as html text. Other members complained they received the html text mainly from gmail accounts but also from some italians providers like libero.it

I sent the same newsletter a couple of times to my gmail account and the same result: all html code as text. I did the same test using elkarte 1.0.10 and the newsletter was sent correctly on my gmail account.

I am wondering if something changed from elkarte 1.0 to 1.1?

the content of the newletter skodaclub.it/skoda/newsletter/003/index.html
an this is how it was received
- on gmail https://screenshots.firefox.com/MyAOVBOOKapiyjvp/mail.google.com
- on hotmail https://screenshots.firefox.com/ZY0lYFFmdrGM4gvo/outlook.live.com
Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:47:18 am by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Re: HTML newsletters

Reply #1

I've send a newsletter in HTML with my Elk 1.1.5 and this is what I get in my GMail. Looks correct and different then yours.  :o

Reply #2

I'm assuming you simply cut and paste all of that HTML into the newsletter textbox and then send it ? 

Could you attach the raw email that gmail received so I can look at it?  You should be able to see it in Gmail, view raw message or something to that effect.

Emails will always have a plain text section then (if the checkbox is selected) an html section ... and then another encoded section should you use "special" (almost any utf-8) characters  (encoded in base64 or quoted printable).  Assuming the email is proper the client should choose the most accurate representation of the email with the fallback being the plain text which is what you are showing.

If it works fine on 1.0 and not on 1.1 .... I'd blame @emanuele even if its likely something I did :D

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – I'm assuming you simply cut and paste all of that HTML into the newsletter textbox and then send it ? 

Thanks for answering, and yes, this is what I did.

I attach both original messages from elkarte 1.1 and 1.0
Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 07:35:55 am by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

emanuele is innocent... maybe.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Indeed things have changed in 1.1, I'll have to do some digging around to see where that error is.

In 1.0 there are (3) versions in the email, plain ascii text, utf-8 text encoded as base64, and utf-8 html encoded as base64

In 1.1 there are only (2) versions, plain ascii text and utf-8 encoded as base64 ... the html version is not present BUT the plain text is the full html document (it was not stripped of tags as was done in 1.0)

So .... some digging around is needed

ETA:::You are using SMTP for your emails ?
Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:17:31 pm by Spuds

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – ETA:::You are using SMTP for your emails ?
 Yes I use an smtp account provided by sparkpost.com (I was lucky to register when free plan included 100.000 mails /month)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

Please test this version of the ManageNews.controller.php and see if it fixes the issue for you.  Its only for v1.1.x of course.

Reply #8

Thank you Spuds, I did a test on gmail and newsletter is displayed correctly.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #9

I don't think this one is tracked yet for 1.1.6.