Skip to main content
Topic: Email Bug - Start a New Topic (Read 7699 times) previous topic - next topic

Email Bug - Start a New Topic

The subject of an emailed message sent from the Forum is changed by ElkArte. software, by adding the Site Name to the Subject line.

So, if you have "Allow the starting of a new topic by changing the reply subject" checked , every emailed reply will start a new topic.

For example..

Post #1:  Subject: This is a new post in My Forum

(Email received) Subject:  [My Forum] This is a new post in My Forum

Reply to Post #1 - Subject;  Re: [My Forum] This is a new post in My Forum

..starts a NEW topic: - Subject: [My Forum] This is a new post in My Forum

A reply to the new topic sends out an email - Subject;  Re: [My Forum][My Forum] This is a new post in My Forum

Ans a reply to that email will start yet another new topic, Subject: [My Forum][My Forum] This is a new post in My Forum

Unless we can fix the code so it strips the added site name in the subject of incoming emails, admins MUST turn off the ability to start a new topic by changing the subject, otherwise, EVERY email reply will start a new topic (because the software changes the subject by adding the site name to the existing subject text when it sends out the email).

Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:10:09 am by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Re: Email Bug - Start a New Topic

Reply #1

hmm... @Spuds could it be the "Re:" from the email client?
From the code it seems what is generated by Elk is properly handled, the only doubt is about the prefix that could be added by the client.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Actually, emanuale, the re: is part of the subject applied by ElkArte apparently

Return-path: <noreply@elkarte.net>
Envelope-to: webmaster@namphong.vet
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 13:05:51 -0600
Received: from s2.eurich.de ([85.214.104.5]:53072)
   by host. with esmtps  (TLS1.2) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
   (Exim 4.93)
   (envelope-from <noreply@elkarte.net>)
   id 1klzLw-000HNn-Dd
   for webmaster@namphong.vet; Sun, 06 Dec 2020 13:05:51 -0600
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
   by s2.eurich.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id 17FB92E9C20
   for <webmaster@namphong.vet>; Sun,  6 Dec 2020 20:05:07 +0100 (CET)
X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at s2.eurich.de
Received: from s2.eurich.de ([127.0.0.1])
   by localhost (h2294877.stratoserver.net [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
   with ESMTP id 4IKh9UWySURN for <webmaster@namphong.vet>;
   Sun,  6 Dec 2020 20:05:05 +0100 (CET)
Received: from 85.214.104.5 (h2294877.stratoserver.net [85.214.104.5])
   by s2.eurich.de (Postfix) with ESMTPA id 6CF132EAA7D
   for <webmaster@namphong.vet>; Sun,  6 Dec 2020 20:05:05 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: [ElkArte Community] Email Bug - Start a New Topic
To: <webmaster@namphong.vet>
From: "emanuele via ElkArte Community" <noreply@elkarte.net>
Reply-To: "ElkArte Community" <elkarteforum@gmail.com>

The "RE:" is already there in the envelope I receive apparently (since it's a reply in the forum, at least in this case?), I don't think it's added by my client.. (or mail server).

In any event, it has to be handled on incoming.. and possibly there may be more than one "re:" (a reply to a reply could generate "RE: RE:" ) 

I think a filter would have to be  {*[forum name] }
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:42:39 pm by Steeley

Reply #3

Yeah, but what does it happen when you reply to the email to create a post?
Doesn't the client add a new "Re:" in your language?
I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but a while ago it was pretty common that the email client was applying the prefix to the subject in the language of the client itself.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – Yeah, but what does it happen when you reply to the email to create a post?
Doesn't the client add a new "Re:" in your language?
I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but a while ago it was pretty common that the email client was applying the prefix to the subject in the language of the client itself.

Here's how it goes, emanuele..

Email send a message, subject "New Email"

It is received with subject  "New Email"

Generate a reply, subject is: "Re: New Email"

It is received with Subject "Re: New Email"

Generate a reply, subject is (still): "Re: New Email"
(I have seen clients add another "Re:" but mine - Pegasus Mail- does not)

It is received with subject: "Re: New Email"

------  Likewise...
A new Forum post in a board I'm monitoring generates an email with the subject "Topic Post Subject"
A reply to that forum post (in the forum) sends an email with the subject "Re: Topic Post Subject"

Hope this helps..

Reply #5

Well, this is on here on this site, and both you and me have used PBE to reply to topics and... well the messages went to the right place, isn't it?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Let me try just another time, this comes from my email client.
Steeley via ElkArte Community wrote on 12/6/20 10:50 PM:
On: Sun Dec 6, 2020 emanuele Wrote: Yeah, but what does it happen when you reply to the email to create a post?

Doesn't the client add a new "Re:" in your language? I'm

not sure if this is still a thing, but a while ago it was pretty common that the email client was applying the prefix to the subject in the language of the client itself.

Here's how it goes, emanuele..

Email send a message, subject "New Email" It is received with subject "New Email" Generate a reply, subject is: "Re: New Email" It is received with Subject "Re: New Email" Generate a reply, subject is (still): "Re: New Email" (I have seen clients add another "Re:" but mine - Pegasus Mail- does not) It is received with subject: "Re: New Email" Hope this helps..

Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – Well, this is on here on this site, and both you and me have used PBE to reply to topics and... well the messages went to the right place, isn't it?

I'll venture a guess that "Allow the starting of a new topic by changing the reply subject" isn't enabled in this Forum...  turn that on, and every email reply creates a new topic. because Elk prepends the [Forum Name] to the subject on the email going out, which changes the original topic subject..

If that is turned off, then the subject is not relevant, the reply goes in the same topic as the message being replied to regardless..
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 06:17:32 pm by Steeley

Reply #8

hmm... I usually check before stating something (not always, but usually) and this time is one of the times in which I checked before answering because I never touched the settings of the forum to begin with.
So, your guess is wrong. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – hmm... I usually check before stating something (not always, but usually) and this time is one of the times in which I checked before answering because I never touched the settings of the forum to begin with.
So, your guess is wrong. ;)

Not the first time in my life... maybe even not the first time today..

But OK, here's how it goes awry on my board:

Post in Forum - subject: "Basic Subject"

Email received: subject "{Forum Name] Basic Subject"
Email Reply - Subject: "Re [Forum Name] Basic Subject" (CC to another email addy - no subject difference)

Email Reply Posts in Forum (Reply #1) - "Re: Basic Subject"

Forum Reply to email Reply (Reply #2) - Subject: "Re Basic Subject"

Email received: subject " Re: {Forum Name] Basic Subject"
Email Reply - Subject: "Re [Forum Name] Basic Subject" (CC to another email addy - no subject difference)

This time however, a new topic is created in the Forum: Subject "[Forum Name] Basic Subject"

I have no idea why .. based on the subject, there was no difference in either email reply, both subjects were identical, but the second one in the thread created a new topic. (OK, I lied when I said "every" emailed reply, it's actually the second in a thread - as long as it's the first thread - apparently. Read on...)

OK, now, let's have some fun... 

From the Forum, I reply to the New Topic - Subject:  "Re: [Forum Name] Basic Subject".

The Email received is subject: "Re [Forum Name] [Forum Name] Basic Subject"
The Email reply to that emailed copy of the forum reply has subject ""Re [Forum Name] [Forum Name] Basic Subject"

That email creates a brand new Topic in the Forum- Subject: "[Forum Name] [Forum Name] Basic Subject"
And away we go -

Again, it was the second email reply (not the first) from the person #2 to the forum reply by person #1 that generated the new topic and gets the ball rolling.. From then on, any and every email reply to replies in those subsequently created topics creates new topics.

Wanna give that scenario a try here and see what happens?

One possible delta - I have parsing turned on that strips the text in the reply starting from "Posting Information", which removes the reply links and the message ID created by Elk, if they are included in the reply.
I don't know where in the process that parsing takes place, but if Elk is looking for that message ID in a reply (I don't know why it would, but if it is and is parsed before its importance can be enjoyed), maybe that confuses things?

Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:12:31 pm by Steeley

Reply #10

That's a possibility I guess.
What email service did you use for the PbE?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: emanuele – That's a possibility I guess.
What email service did you use for the PbE?

If I understand what you're asking me, emanuele, as near as I can tell it's Exim 4.93  in "LMTP mode"  (both the sender and receiver are on the same host, two separate domains - one is my personal site, the other the Forum site ),  Further, linux OS running Apache 2.4.46. on an x86_64 box somewhere back in Michigan USA, I suspect. My email client is Pegasus 4.73.639 (current release).

FWIW, as I noted, with "change subject to change topic" enabled, the first email reply posts in the thread, the second email reply in that thread (from the same sender), to a reply made in the forum to the first email reply, generates a new topic, even though both email reply "subjects" are identical.  This may not be the only condition that will do it, it's just the only one I've tested so far.,

[Update: I turned off the parsing just to confirm it's not a factor, and it's not a factor, it still does it..]

If you would like to set up that scenario here, and verify it's the software rather than my box (or rule that out) I'll be happy to participate..

You post a new topic, I'll reply to it via email, you reply to my reply, and I'll reply to your reply to my earlier email reply, and see if we get a new topic from my second reply...

Maybe you do that yourself too (or first) and see what you get?
(I used my "mini-me" account on my forum to post in the forum, so I wasn't posting both in the forum and by email using the same account)
Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:13:47 pm by Steeley

Reply #12

Quote from: Steeley –
<snip>

If you would like to set up that scenario here, and verify it's the software rather than my box (or rule that out) I'll be happy to participate..

You post a new topic, I'll reply to it via email, you reply to my reply, and I'll reply to your reply to my earlier email reply, and see if we get a new topic from my second reply...

Maybe you do that yourself too (or first) and see what you get?
(I used my "mini-me" account on my forum to post in the forum, so I wasn't posting both in the forum and by email using the same account)

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall we did confirm it exists on this Forum as well .. check the recycle board for the spun-off post if that hasn't been cleaned out already