Skip to main content
Topic: [1.0.3] long post cannot be edited? (Read 3019 times) previous topic - next topic

[1.0.3] long post cannot be edited?

I have a very long post (copied it to MS Word, which says he has 2.779 words). When I edit the post, the editor text field and the subject row is empty. A quick edit works.

And it seems to have a problem with the three lists inside the post. At the very end of the post is a [/list]. I don't know where this comes from. I checked the bbc inside the post, it seems correct.  :o

Re: [1.0.3] long post cannot be edited?

Reply #1

hmm...

If I were to guess, I'd blame (again) some odd character introduced by word "as usual"... :P
@Spuds introduced some sanitization of the inputs from word, maybe he has some idea.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Ohhh... sorry, my headache was worse than I thought. LOL

Could you send me a PM with the "source" (the bbcode) of the message included in the tags?
Even better would be a text file atteched, so we avoid entirely any processing "in between".
Maybe zipped as well?... up to you.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Ehm... I found the [list] which has lead to the [/list] at the end of my post. I fixed this and now I can edit my post!  :o

Reply #5

Then I think I know what it could be: the editor goes mad because it fails at formatting it properly...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Hm... Then he (the editor) should give a hint about this problem. If I had clicked on "post", the complete post would have been deleted (if not the subject line would have been empty too and because of that the post would have not been saved). I think the software has to save the user from deleting his post because of such a problem.

Edit: It's not a bug, so you sure can move the topic. And it somehow seems to be connected with the topic here:

http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2566.0

Reply #7

Well, it is a bug if it doesn't show things that are there. ;)
Are you using the WYSIWYG or the "normal"?

Also, the attached is the "broken one", right?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Normal editor. No, the attached one is the fixed one. Only difference is the [list] at the very top and the [/list] at the very bottom of the post. Maybe this confuses the editor too much?

Reply #9

How exactly the top one was broken?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Sorry?

What I did: I wanted to edit my post (the one with 2.779 words), so I clicked on the edit button. But then the subject line and the text field of the editor were empty. I accidentally clicked on "post", which leads to the error message that the subject line must be filled. Thank goodness, otherwise my post was lost!  :o

With the quick edit function the text editor showed the text. So only the normal edit function seems to had a problem.

Maybe because all the text was within the [list] code?

Reply #11

So the whole body was included in a list tag?

When there is a problem with something it's bets to have the "broken" version, otherwise it's impossible to find where the issue is. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – So the whole body was included in a list tag?

Yep. My mistake, but this was the start situation.

Quote from: emanuele – When there is a problem with something it's bets to have the "broken" version, otherwise it's impossible to find where the issue is. ;)

I know. But the broken version was only different as described above. As it seems to be fixed, the only thing we can test is use the text again for a post, put the list-bbc around it, and then try to edit it.

But I don't understand why my whole text was not shown as a list.  :o

Reply #13

Tracked: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/2059

Quote from: Jorin – I know. But the broken version was only different as described above.
Yep, not a big issue, it was just a general reminder in the sense that if you have something that doesn't work, post what it doesn't work, otherwise it's impossible to use it to find the bug. ;)

Quote from: Jorin – But I don't understand why my whole text was not shown as a list.  :o
That's the part to debug.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.