Skip to main content
Topic: I feel kinda dumb for not knowing... (Read 4343 times) previous topic - next topic

I feel kinda dumb for not knowing...

...that scripple was SlammedDime.

Re: I feel kinda dumb for not knowing...

Reply #1

I'm not.  I did use his mod on SMF.  I built it somewhat differently (with less versatility I suppose) on Elk.

Reply #2

Quote from: scripple – I'm not.  I did use his mod on SMF.  I built it somewhat differently (with less versatility I suppose) on Elk.

Ahh. Well, I'd be very interested in that mod. Any specific differences?

Reply #3

It's unfinished.  ;)  (I only do what I need, so no admin settings or other pages to manage subaccounts.  No breaking them off into separate accounts, etc.  It also doesn't add the necessary column to the database as I wrote code to map the SMF mods relationships to my mods format.)

Internally I decided to give each member a parent_id in the main members table and not have a secondary table mapping relationships between accounts.  This means there can be no shared accounts.

Also I added the look and feel / theme linkage.  I figured since it's really one person using all the accounts that if they set the forum to look a certain way they probably want that look for all their accounts.  And I've made it so that you can edit the posts of any of your accounts from any other account rather than having to switch to the account that made the post.

Probably other things internally too.   I didn't really follow the SMF mod in creating mine.  I just poked through the Elk code to find what I needed to change to make things work the way I wanted them to.  (Of course having been using and editing that mod to make it more how I wanted over a year or two it certainly was a great guideline.)  I was really hoping I could do it all without any code edits, but oh well.   It's how I found all the bugs I reported early on.

Reply #4

That doesn't sound too dissimilar. Honestly, shared accounts were meh, not really that important. I like the idea of linking look and feel settings, though.

Any thought to finishing it up? I would probably have a use for it if it was finished.

Reply #5

Honestly I'd not really thought about distributing it.  I doubt I'll ever write management pages.  They're easily managed like normal accounts.  With no secondary table all the normal management options work on them like any other account.

Reply #6

I'd probably have strip out somethings too.  Like I have rp accounts automatically set two custom profile fields saying they're an RP account and who the real user that owns it is.  But the naming for those is hard coded very specific for m forum.  And I setup the profile fields manually.

Reply #7

Quote from: scripple – Honestly I'd not really thought about distributing it.  I doubt I'll ever write management pages.  They're easily managed like normal accounts.  With no secondary table all the normal management options work on them like any other account.

That can work. There's no real reason it needs separate management pages, for a dedicated RP site everyone should have the permission to use it, and anyone who abuses it probably deserves a ban. I think the only real management need would be a potential limiter for how many one could create, and I don't think any of my sites would have that need.

Reply #8

There are no limits, other than my having borrowed the profile button to select the account and that getting really long making things annoying.  ;)

Reply #9

Quote from: scripple – There are no limits, other than my having borrowed the profile button to select the account and that getting really long making things annoying.  ;)

What happens when the list of accounts goes below the page? Does the Elk menu wrap it or does it just condemn you to being unable to access the links below the screen?

Reply #10

You scroll down.  Mouse wheel or in touch mode just scroll.  Thinking more I don't know what I want to distribute this.  The SMF subaccounts mod is no redistribute licensed and I don't feel like the potential hassle if he wants to claim since I used his in the past mine is a derivative work.