Skip to main content
Topic: I want to be a project manager (Read 5360 times) previous topic - next topic

I want to be a project manager

It says "it may have been temporarily down or moved permanently to a new web address".

That doesn't seem to be good...

Jorin changed the topic's subject. At first Chara was wondering why simpleportal.net seemed to be down. Right now that's no longer the case, but the new topic title is way better for the following discussion.
Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:32:56 am by Jorin

Re: I want to be a project manager

Reply #1

I was there just last week. But the last few days it looks like an server error (index.php-file to download) and now: server not found. Perhaps they're fixing?  :-\
▬|████|▬ This is a Nudelholz! Take it und hau it on the Kopp of a bekloppt Person .... to give you a better Gefühl than vorher.

ElkArte 1.1.x & TP on Apache2.4.48, PHP 8.0.8 FPM

Reply #2

Looks like a technical issue, the admin has been contacted. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Also, what did I ever do to get kicked out of there? Am I a spammer?!

Yeesh... Just when I was dreaming to be a project manager there...

My dream has been crushed.

Reply #4

I don't know what happened, but you can't pretend to became a project manager without contributing first to the project 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

Quote from: radu81 – I don't know what happened, but you can't pretend to became a project manager without contributing first to the project

Okay, you're just being sarcastic. I just want to be a project manager of something.
But apparently, SimplePortal banned me, so they must think that it's too much to ask.
I didn't ask to be banned. I just asked to be a project manager. That's all.
Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:03:39 am by Chara from Undertale

Reply #6

I start saying I'm not being sarcastic, just to clean up all the doubts. I'm going to be rather serious.

I'm not sure if there is a language barrier here (I'm not a native English speaker, so I may get things wrong at times), but let's start defining things.

QuoteProject manager: the person in overall charge of the planning and execution of a particular project.

So, to me it's a rather important role, it's basically who drives the project.
You arrives in a project, day 1 (maybe day 2, but it doesn't change that much) and state "I want to become project manager".

As far as I know "want" can be multiple things, but usually I use it when I actually want something, not when I wish to have something. So somehow a definitive statement.

Now, people have different opinions, and ways to deal with stuff, but consider if I arrive to your project you have spent hours, days, years of work on, and I say "Please step aside, your project belongs to me".
Would you agree to that request? Or would just say "Are you sure you are not out of your mind?".

This is more or less the reaction you can expect going to a project and asking to be a project manager.

Now, if you were to say something like "I wish one day to become SP project manager", then it would sound a bit better: the people reading it would think "okay, s/he is young but is deeply interested in the project up to wish to be able to reach a leading role, cool!".
But a sharp statement "I want to be a project manager"... well, it's a bit difficult to be seriously considered.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – I start saying I'm not being sarcastic, just to clean up all the doubts. I'm going to be rather serious.

I'm not sure if there is a language barrier here (I'm not a native English speaker, so I may get things wrong at times), but let's start defining things.

QuoteProject manager: the person in overall charge of the planning and execution of a particular project.

So, to me it's a rather important role, it's basically who drives the project.
You arrives in a project, day 1 (maybe day 2, but it doesn't change that much) and state "I want to become project manager".

As far as I know "want" can be multiple things, but usually I use it when I actually want something, not when I wish to have something. So somehow a definitive statement.

Now, people have different opinions, and ways to deal with stuff, but consider if I arrive to your project you have spent hours, days, years of work on, and I say "Please step aside, your project belongs to me".
Would you agree to that request? Or would just say "Are you sure you are not out of your mind?".

This is more or less the reaction you can expect going to a project and asking to be a project manager.

Now, if you were to say something like "I wish one day to become SP project manager", then it would sound a bit better: the people reading it would think "okay, s/he is young but is deeply interested in the project up to wish to be able to reach a leading role, cool!".
But a sharp statement "I want to be a project manager"... well, it's a bit difficult to be seriously considered.

Okay... I wished one day to be a Project Manager of SimplePortal and its community. But then I got banned...

This is why I wanted to stay on SimplePortal's community.

So I could wish one day to be a project manager.

But what did I get instead?

Reply #8

Hm, you said in one of your first posts here:

So, some day you wish to be a project manager of Simple Portal and ElkArte?  :o

You have to spend much time on a existing project first to become a "project manager" (define please what this means to you). You need to contribute first. And you need knowlegde of the project, in this example you need to know how to code. You need to have enough management and social skills and you need time to work on the project more then anything else. It's a job I have for many years, believe me, it's not easy and not something you can just because you want to. You must have the "balls", lot of skills and experience.  ;)

Reply #9

Quote from: Chara from Undertale – Okay... I wished one day to be a Project Manager of SimplePortal and its community. But then I got banned...
Multiple people confirmed the website wasn't working for them either.

Reply #12

Lmao, tbh, you were banned for ridiculously spammy, useless and mod-like attitude posts without being one. I asked for a ban at first, one of the admins decided to give you a second chance and promptly regretted it, proving me right O:-)
-  ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #13

Quote from: Flavio93Zena – Lmao, tbh, you were banned for ridiculously spammy, useless and mod-like attitude posts without being one. I asked for a ban at first, one of the admins decided to give you a second chance and promptly regretted it, proving me right O:-)
-  ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
Ok, you know what? ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ was wrong. He... He should just unban me. I wasn't being spammy, I wasn't being immature, I wasn't being mod-like attitude-ish... He is sitting on a throne of misjudgement.

I demand that he unban me.

I am not joking. I am being serious.
Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:33:55 pm by Chara from Undertale

Reply #14

LOL. I think, this thread has run its course.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~