Skip to main content
Topic: IP blocked due to multiple failed logins (Read 3643 times) previous topic - next topic

IP blocked due to multiple failed logins

Is it anything to do with ElkArte, i checked with my host. They said it is due to mod_security and kindly check your .htaccess or disable mod_security. Should i change some files to fix it , problem started 1 week back.

Re: IP blocked due to multiple failed logins

Reply #1

I too got this error.

Reply #2

Just disable mod_security, it serves no purpose on Elkarte.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #3

@Flavio93Zena (#OpIsis) disabling mod_security doesn't compromise security?

Reply #4

IMO there's nothing we can fix in ElkArte's codebase..

It sounds like mod_security is at least not properly configured. Maybe your webhoster can give you some details about why your connection to the server has been blocked (logfiles should give you the reason).
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #5

@TE The host said, if i face anymore problem they will check in server error log and let me know.

Reply #6

Quote from: IndianTalkZone – disabling mod_security doesn't compromise security?
so the answer to your question is no, it won't :P

Reply #7

Quote from: IndianTalkZone – @TE The host said, if i face anymore problem they will check in server error log and let me know.
Have you looked in your cPanel or equivalent Error logs and Visitor logs. Might find an IP that is pounding your site. Look in BadBehaviour and see what is there. Find a common IP address and ban it and see what happens.

Mod_security is a bane for users. Great for servers, bad for users. You might could disable it in .htacess if the host compiled it to permit that action.

Reply #8

Disabling mod_security via htaccess doesn't always work, but doing it via the cPanel, does, when there is such option :P

Reply #9

No, having mod_security active by default doesn't mean you are on a crappy host. Not having the option to disable it, not even on request, instead, definitely means it's a crappy host.

Reply #10

You said IF you face furhter problems, IF.

Reply #11

The first sentence is from IndianTalkZone's host, not something said by derived.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

My typo on the "you", should have said "he" :D

Reply #13

Sorry for the delayed reply, my host gives me the option to disable mod_security. They also said kindly notify us if you face any problem, so that we can fix it and they asked me to check with site settings. That's why i dropped a help thread here.

Now i am clear that Elkarte has no issue (but still have a doubt because of the transition from MyBB to Elkarte, some mistake i could have done).

Reply #14

Disable and be done with it :)