Skip to main content
Topic: Mentions counter (Read 4085 times) previous topic - next topic

Mentions counter

The mentions counter for the menu says that I have 1 unread mention. However it doesn't appear in the list at mentions action. I'm guessing that it's either a bug in the mentions counter or you guys have been talking about me behind the closed doors I can't access.

Another little issue, if I may; the "Started by author" thing might be okay for the sorting options but it looks and reads awful in the topic lists. I mean "Started by author [SiNaN]" looks pretty bad; "Started by [SiNaN]" makes a lot more sense.

Another one I've just spotted; the additional options container in the post action seems to need some top margin.

Re: Mentions counter

Reply #1

The mentioning... darn, I hate debug that thing. :P
Can you check in the "all" if you have the one from Eliana here?

Quote from: [SiNaN] – Another little issue, if I may; the "Started by author" thing might be okay for the sorting options but it looks and reads awful in the topic lists. I mean "Started by author [SiNaN]" looks pretty bad; "Started by [SiNaN]" makes a lot more sense.
That looks like a overly cleaned language file.
The same is true for the profile, where "recent posts" is (now) used instead of simply "posts".
Will have a look.

ETA: text problem fixed here
Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:12:13 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele – The mentioning... darn, I hate debug that thing. :P
Can you check in the "all" if you have the one from Eliana here?

Attached are all the mentions I have.

Quote from: emanuele date=1399064409 link=topic=1398.msg9382#msg9382] [quote author=[SiNaN] – 1246]
Another little issue, if I may; the "Started by author" thing might be okay for the sorting options but it looks and reads awful in the topic lists. I mean "Started by author [SiNaN]" looks pretty bad; "Started by [SiNaN]" makes a lot more sense.
That looks like a overly cleaned language file.
The same is true for the profile, where "recent posts" is (now) used instead of simply "posts".
Will have a look.

ETA: text problem fixed here
[/quote]

I can test it once you update the site. Surprised to see that I was the only one annoyed by that. It had been that way for so long.

Reply #3

Oddity!! :'(
 emanuele hates debugging
 emanuele feels more tests are necessary
 emanuele hates writing tests LOL

Quote from: [SiNaN] – I can test it once you update the site. Surprised to see that I was the only one annoyed by that. It had been that way for so long.
I just didn't notice it. lol
It's very unlikely I read texts like that one, I usually focus on the right side of the screen on the last message area and... odd: since when did we drop the "I posted in this topic" icon?
 emanuele thinks this is another bug...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – Oddity!! :'(
 emanuele hates debugging
 emanuele feels more tests are necessary
 emanuele hates writing tests LOL

I think currently what you do is increasing or decreasing the counter. Maybe doing a full recount of mentions would be a lot less likely to go wrong.

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: [SiNaN] – I can test it once you update the site. Surprised to see that I was the only one annoyed by that. It had been that way for so long.
I just didn't notice it. lol
It's very unlikely I read texts like that one, I usually focus on the right side of the screen on the last message area and... odd: since when did we drop the "I posted in this topic" icon?
 emanuele thinks this is another bug...

Overall the templates here feel incomplete to me. It's like they need plenty of little touches here and there.

Reply #5

Although I don't think it matters in this case, the maintenance task "Users Mentions Access" is not enabled on the site.  I do remember the mention to [SiNaN] in the internal board (don't worry, it was just eman being to lazy to type your name :P so he used mention) so it should not have shown up in your counter. 

Reply #6

Oh... I forgot about that... lol
Well, at least now it really looks like a bug. ::)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

So you really were gossiping about me?! :P I haven't read it thoroughly but Users Mentions Access task looks a little weird to me. I wonder if the whole access thing with mentions could be handled more differently.

Reply #8

It may be. I just realised that it may be possible to check "immediately" without compromising too much performances (using the same trick of the scheduled task (I wonder why I didn't do that check at the beginning... no idea).
Then the scheduled task itself: it may be removed, yes, there are "consequences" of course: if you "mention" a user in a board he cannot see, but then he gains access to that board, without a kind of scheduled task it would be not easily possible (at least I don't have any good idea) to recover those mentions. If instead the opposite happens (i.e. a user lose access to a certain board), he will still see the mentions around without having the possibility to see the topic/message/whatever.
Actually, that second part is not very important, and TBH I tend to think it may be more correct to keep them visible to the user[1].

What would you prefer in similar cases?
Heck it would be perfectly fine with me to let the user access their own messages (in profile) even if he is not allowed to access the board.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.