Skip to main content
Topic: Facebook addon? (Read 3363 times) previous topic - next topic

Facebook addon?

Anybody creating and plan to create this addon? I just need a basic login and registration via facebook.

Re: Facebook addon?

Reply #1

+1 to the idea.

Reply #2

I don't know if anyone is working on this just yet. 

There has been quite a bit of discussion on adding 3rd party authentication (facebook, google, etc) but the available libraries have been, well lacking in one way or another.  But yes there is interest in having this !

Reply #3

ant59 was working on integrating hybrid auth, but he had RL problems.
I tried to work on hybrid auth as well from time to time, nothing working actually lol, just some tests to understand what is needed for it to work.
I'm pretty sure Hybrid Auth is the answer, though to work properly it may require some changes to the way the login is handled by ElkArte.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I guess people are too lazy to register these days.

Reply #5

If people are too lazy to register, they are probably too lazy to even post.
I'm still waiting some demonstration these social logins are really worth the time spent for the integration.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Until a few months ago I thought that registration with FB is a must for every forum. Now most of my users registered with FB are inactive. I think I will disable registration with fb

QuoteIf people are too lazy to register, they are probably too lazy to even post.
big quote!

I think there are more important things to setup before doing this kind of mod, imho
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

Quote from: radu81 – Until a few months ago I thought that registration with FB is a must for every forum. Now most of my users registered with FB are inactive. I think I will disable registration with fb
And that's what I think is the reality: people may arrive to the forum through FB or alike, but how many are actually participating to the "forum life" when registered?
Actually, there is another "hole": I think that people coming from FB expect the site to work the same as FB, so give 'em notifications about everything, tons of emails, etc., and maybe some will come back one day or another to post something (not sure what).
So a mere login is not enough to attract and keep people coming from social networks. I think you have to give them an experience pretty close to the one they are having on FB.

I think some social aspect would be nice to introduce (for example groups as proposed by @Allan in another topic[1], more alerts, and more fine grained control over them, more privacy control over data, likely more...), not sure exactly which ones.

Of course this is just a theory, no data to support it.
Oh heck, I just had a terrible idea: implement the searching of topic subjects via # like for issues on github... even though I would reserve the # for the hashtags I'm implementing on my addon, so what would be left? Maybe the "greater than" (>) or the question mark? The GT is less used, though it's more likely to be used after a space, the question mark appears more frequently, though is usually attached to a word, so it would not trigger the event handler. To think about in another topic.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I have this working, but it needs some polishing. Give me a week or so and I'll clean it up for general use and package it to an addon :)