Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON] SimplePortal (Read 155424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [ADDON] SimplePortal

Reply #555

I don't have a fix for you just yet, but its the "forum menu" block that is causing the issue.  Disable that and the issue will go away. 

I'm honestly dubious that the menu block has any usefulness

ETA:   .elk_simple_portal-1.0.1.zip  (342.88 KB) 1.0.1 package version which should fix the double search issue and a few other minor issues reported over time.
Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:06:06 pm by Spuds

Reply #556

Quote from: Spuds – I don't have a fix for you just yet, but its the "forum menu" block that is causing the issue.  Disable that and the issue will go away. 

I'm honestly dubious that the menu block has any usefulness

ETA:  [attachurl]10031[/attachurl] 1.0.1 package version which should fix the double search issue and a few other minor issues reported over time.

Thank you I appreciate all your hard work.

Rick

Reply #557

Working on the Visibility Profiles List and finding one thing.
While I can set blocks to not show on Mobile, is there a way to set them to only show on mobile?

Reply #558

Planning to make a "knowledge base" for a small community that would include discussion forums and also RSS/Atom feed aggregation and blogs for couple active writers. My initial idea was to use ElkArte as forums (since I have good experiences with it in the past), FreshRSS for the feed aggregation and then some simplex'n'small CMS thing for the blogs.

But then thought to take a look into addons of ElkArte and came by SP, but didn't quite make it from the documentation or talks about the addon (whether SMF or ElkArte) if it's possible to assign permissions to specific users to write blogs? Also it would be nice to have them as separated blogs. So that if user want to browse one writers blog posts those would be found from the one page and other writers blog posts from the another. Then collect the newest entries to blog index page, 10-15 newest posts from all blogs.

Is this kind of thing easy to do with SP addon?

Would be really nice to keep all the things within the ElkArte and not set up many different things :)
Stop Whining!

Reply #559

Quote from: Vague Whiner – <snip>
if it's possible to assign permissions to specific users to write blogs? Also it would be nice to have them as separated blogs. So that if user want to browse one writers blog posts those would be found from the one page and other writers blog posts from the another. Then collect the newest entries to blog index page, 10-15 newest posts from all blogs.

Is this kind of thing easy to do with SP addon?

Would be really nice to keep all the things within the ElkArte and not set up many different things :)

If you want to have a user with his own little "mini blog", you can easily control who can post to a particular board with the standard admin permissions. If you want other users to be able to discuss those blog posts, granting other users reply (but not create) new topics in that board I believe is doable.  Another option (I think EA permits) is allow the blog poster the ability to create sub-boards in his specific board for discussion - he'd have to link them to the main board topic by title or html link - and that might require some tricky permission profiles for other users if admin isn't going to be required to facilitate each new addition and user access to those sub-boards. 

These are inherent EA permissions - I don't use Simple Portal so I'm not familiar with what additional features (or restrictions) it might bring - I'll defer to others on that one, but it looks like EA is able to do, one way or another,  what you describe inherently without add-on dependency.. If Simple Portal overlays on EA's permissions. that's cool.

Edit: as for "Latest Posts" that's also inherent, although having them repeated for separate boards  (latest in board A, latest in board B, etc.) I'm pretty sure will require some code manipulation. I'll defer that question to Spuds or someone more familiar with the PHP under the hood.

Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:42:59 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #560

Quote from: Steeley – If you want to have a user with his own little "mini blog", you can easily control who can post to a particular board with the standard admin permissions. If you want other users to be able to discuss those blog posts, granting other users reply (but not create) new topics in that board I believe is doable.

Oh, you mean that SP does use discussion boards as blogs? Didn't understand this from the description ... it just said:

Quote from: https://elkarte.github.io/addons//feature/Simple-Portal.htmlArticles
With the article system enabled, you can easily publish them directly on the Portal, no block is necessary. You can also show articles on any SimplePortal Page, or wherever you have blocks displayed, using an article block.

You can create your articles using BBCode, HTML, Markdown or even PHP depending on your needs. You can attach images to your articles and place them inline or aligned to the left or right to give them a blog look and feel.

Articles are assigned to and organized by categories. You can easily create many different categories, and your users can then browse articles by category. No blog system would be complete without a comment functionality and SimplePortal makes that easy.

From this I deducted it's different beast altogether than discussion boards.
Stop Whining!

Reply #561

My reply was discussing the feasibility of doing what I think you were describing inherent in EA and its permissions.

As I noted :   "I don't use Simple Portal so I'm not familiar with what additional features (or restrictions) it might bring ." For further discussion on Simple Portal I'll step aside and allow someone with SP familiarity to discuss its features..

Reply #562

Quote from: Vague Whiner –
Oh, you mean that SP does use discussion boards as blogs? Didn't understand this from the description ... it just said:

Quote from: https://elkarte.github.io/addons//feature/Simple-Portal.htmlArticles
With the article system enabled, you can easily publish them directly on the Portal, no block is necessary. You can also show articles on any SimplePortal Page, or wherever you have blocks displayed, using an article block.

You can create your articles using BBCode, HTML, Markdown or even PHP depending on your needs. You can attach images to your articles and place them inline or aligned to the left or right to give them a blog look and feel.

Articles are assigned to and organized by categories. You can easily create many different categories, and your users can then browse articles by category. No blog system would be complete without a comment functionality and SimplePortal makes that easy.

From this I deducted it's different beast altogether than discussion boards.

Well, let me approach this a different way..   do you know your requirements for your "knowledge base", and have a functional architecture in mind? Or are you not sure of the requirements, and are looking at what different tools offer to see if they might provide features you can use to develop a design you  might like?

If you know what the requirements are, it might be helpful to describe them in a little more detail, and then the folks that use SP can tell you what fits (or not). Likewise, those of us more familiar with EA can assist with that fit, as well. 

In your mind, what is the functional difference between a blog, and a board? In my mind I can see a board easily being used as a blog, "assigned" to a particular user.

Reply #563

I'd have to play around and see if the portal article area could be extended to individual user blogs. 

Honestly never thought of it in those terms, but only as a site level "blog" .  There may be a way with portal profile and permissions, but having never tried that I can't give any specific advice.

Reply #565

@Spuds

I figured out how to edit the title for the board index, but I'd like to edit the title for the main portal page.
I'd like it to show the forum name, then some added text, just on the main portal page.
I've got it showing how I like on the board index by editing the language file, but I can't see where to add what I want to the portal page.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reply #566

I'm not understanding what you want to change  :embarrassed:  Could you give me some more information or maybe a picture of what you want?  Be glad to help, just not sure what t do !

Reply #567

The main title of the forum shows in tab on your browser, like whatever names are for each page.
I edited the language file: index.english.php
Code: [Select]
$txt['forum_index'] = '%1$s - We strive to give our best in all things.';

However, since have the portal, that only shows on board index, not on the portal.
https://www.burkeknight.cc.nf/index.php?action=forum
Compared to
https://www.burkeknight.cc.nf/index.php

You'll see in the images, where I hovered over the tab.
Title_1.png Title_2.png

Reply #568

How did you even notice that !

You will need to edit your PortalMain.controller.php in the sources/controllers directory

Code: (find) [Select]
	public function pre_dispatch()
{
global $context;

if (!sp_is_active())
{
redirectexit();
}

$context['page_title'] = $context['forum_name'];

Code: (replace) [Select]
	public function pre_dispatch()
{