Skip to main content
Topic: Mentions indicator (on main menu) won't go away (Read 4792 times) previous topic - next topic

Mentions indicator (on main menu) won't go away

Ok, so I haz a mention. This results in nifty little thingy on the main menu saying "1". So I go and view the thread in question. Thingy is still on the main menu. It doesn't want to go away. It insists on telling me I haz a mention, even when I already know this and have gone to have a look.

Why? :D Shouldn't it behave like the unread/"new" indicators, and vanish once you've had a look?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Mentions indicator (on main menu) won't go away

Reply #1

If you click on the little or icon or on the link in the message in http://www.ElkArte.net/community/index.php?action=mentions yes.
Otherwise, no.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I thought it did mark it as seen if you went to the topic (from the mentions list) ... but the indicator is lagging, you enter the topic and it still says "1" until you do another page refresh / navigation action.

Reply #3

Ohh... if it is that, it has been reported a couple of times by a couple of persons (one being Ant).
To fix it the only way is a redirectexit, that seems overkill for just a simple number that goes away once you navigate somewhere else (also considering is the same effect you have with PMs and nobody ever mentioned that).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Point is that it doesn't go away if you navigate somewhere else. I've navigated all over the place since yesterday and it's still there, For the same mention. Once it's up, it's up permanently. The only way to get rid of it is to deliberately go to the mentions page and clear it. This is, frankly, a PITA.

The PM indicator is different. That one does behave properly. It's only mentions that's borked.

Reply #5

Are you navigating to it from the mentions page or just navigating to it via unread messages?  

Reply #6

Doesn't seem to make any difference which way I do it.

Reply #7

See attachment, just to be sure. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Do not want to click there. Want it to go away by itself like the PM indicator does. Going to that page to click things every time somebody happens to mentions me or whatever is a waste of time. Do not want. :P

Code: (Nifty custom theme idea) [Select]
#button_mentions {display: none;}
/* mwahahahahahaha! :P */

Reply #9

So assuming that it does clear when you navigate to the post from the mention tab (meaning it works as currently implemented)

What you want is that same "clear" the mention behavior should you navigate to a mentioned page from other areas such as new posts,  recent posts,  search results, etc? 

Some of those do not navigate to the specific mentioned post, but only to somewhere in that topic.  I'm not sure the behavior should be to clear the mention in those cases, right now it only clears on a direct link to the post.

Reply #10

I feel you should do it through javascript and make it "disappear" only when the mention actually enters the screen, otherwise you'd get the counter complains "my mentions disappear without me doing nothing".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: Spuds – So assuming that it does clear when you navigate to the post from the mention tab (meaning it works as currently implemented)
Yes, it does that. Point is that I don't necessarily care about mentions in particular. The usual thing is to start with unread posts, which will probably cover mentions anyway. IOW, most of the time the mentions tab stuff is just redundant.

QuoteWhat you want is that same "clear" the mention behavior should you navigate to a mentioned page from other areas such as new posts,  recent posts,  search results, etc?
Yup. Like I said, often the use of other functions will effectively cover whatever mentions there are anyway.

QuoteSome of those do not navigate to the specific mentioned post, but only to somewhere in that topic.  I'm not sure the behavior should be to clear the mention in those cases, right now it only clears on a direct link to the post.
Like I said... :D

Reply #12

emanuele wonders what is all the fuss about, emanuele has "1" next to admin, "81" next to PMs and "35" next to mentions. And he doesn't care at all! xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Meh. :P

Anyway I just went ahead and used an override in my browser to kill the whole damned button. Sorts things out nicely. :D

Reply #14

Quote from: Antechinus – Meh. :P

Anyway I just went ahead and used an override in my browser to kill the whole damned button. Sorts things out nicely. :D
Bad way, now how the hell can I mention you in template/css stuffz? -_-
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~