Skip to main content
Topic: EARLY Beta version of 2.0  (Read 10844 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EARLY Beta version of 2.0

Reply #60

I installed the Wave plugin (I think its from WebAIM) for chrome and that seems to do good job at pointing out problem areas w/o having to have a site published, so good for development.  I ran it on light and made a couple of alt text (all those alt="") and link fixes (a few text-less links), colors were fine.  Only checked a few of the main pages.

I'll look to see what it takes to get to AA on the dark theme.  Agree about to much contrast, for me it get harsh and for dark themes I tend to like ones with a touch less contrast, probably why Darktanion ended up where it did.  It was one of those color wheel changes on text/links until, yeah that feels good to my eyes.

Glad you got to reset the theme.  That theme choice area of Profile was redone in 2.0, it used to use the admin controller but now its stands alone in the profile controller, so yeah, a few bugs added.

Reply #61

So another round of updates were applied today.  Some of these were already "live" but had not been committed to the repo, so what we have now is what is really in the dev branch of the repo.

Some notes:
  • Some more random CSS cleanup, mostly padding/spacing and the like
  • Committed the chart.js items for stats view, that was discussed in another topic.  Also now in profile stats, those little donuts that showed popular boards by posts are now SVG created on the "fly" icons.  You no longer have to deal with the old sprite image which only had distinct wedges and was more difficult to color to the theme.  Now you can change the color with ease.
  • The JS/CSS minify was updated so now you can choose to minify files but NOT combine them into one.  Some folks like that better.  This was an update that also included JS defer changes and some other minor cleanup of inline JS.  Unfortunerly one of the JS compile options we had was a google service that did code optimization as well, but that service has been flagged as depreciated so we can really use that any longer.  Now its simply a whitespace remover.
  • Added, as an experiment, several other video embed sites, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok  I'll do a separate post on that.
  • Open graph metadata and site schema is now an option. If you look at the page source you will see the tags that are added by the option (its not all in the head, so look at the bottom as well).  This data is not on all pages, its primarily on topic view,  board and topic index pages.   It will use the appropriate description for the page and will also make use of attachments (from the first post only) to help announce the item.  Basically the open graph stuff is used when you share a page on a social site and the schema stuff is for search engine consumption.
  • Another large batch of fixes to various areas, to numerous to list, still lots to go !

Reply #62

Great news, specially for metadata & site schema, IIRC this feature was asked some time ago to be implemented
sorry for my bad english

Reply #63

Slowly getting all the features in place.   You will notice the schema org data in its fullest form only when viewing the first page of a topic.

If there are other features that have been requested and are not in place, don't hesitate to post a little nudge reminder:smile:

Reply #64

I haven't get involved in this for quite some times (may be because I am not sure how) but so far I can only see that the 2.0 development is doing great. Thank you all for keeping it up and moving to the right direction.

Reply #65

Hear, hear!

Reply #66

Updated again today .... the changes that I recall in this update are

• Quick Quote .... The button is currently off until text is selected but that is an ACP option.  The QQ feature is on the topic display page assuming your have quick reply on.  Its on the full post page when you select text from one of the topic reply's down below the post and drafts area.  It will also be available on the PM reply page.
  • Improved Quick Moderation.  Only checkboxes now, once a box is checked the menu will be stuck to the bottom of the page (when it reaches that of course)  That bar should be available on the display page, search page, and recent page (I think)  The button counters have some smarts in them, they will only increment based on the number of messages selected in which that action is available.  Certainly not perfect but at least its a start..
  • Improved emoji support, now almost 500 additional images are available and one of the sets was changed to a library that is better supported.  This also includes the fix so the dropdown menu is better populated (that is the selection menu you get when you enter a : and then some text, you do need the full editor, the select menu is not available in the plain text area, unless someone wants to write that code)
  • Fixed some of the contrast issues on the dark theme, still just a WIP
  • Fixed more theme issues and various bug fixes all over the place.

That is all for now, more goodies to come :smiley:

Reply #67

Placed the latest code on the site.

Changes that I recall:

Fixes / Updates
  • Quick Quote now displays its button by the text that you highlighted.  This replaces placing it with the other buttons as those may be off screen.  This should provide quick access and visual clue that the function exits.  It should also now behave better on double/triple clicks.
  • The "show more" on long  quotes overlay/button now uses some JavaScript.  The previous version were php/css only but had some issues with responsive behavior.  To properly fix I added in some JS goodness. 
  • Buttons.  We have lots of buttons, and they were often created in different ways.  This update begins to consolidate how they were created so the markup is consistent and provides easy ways for addons to hook into those button strips.  For example on the display page where it has | quote | quick edit | like | more  ... those were coded in the template requiring code edits to alter/add.  Now they are a simple array definition that can be changed as needed.  Same goes for buttons in display, search, pm, recent are all done the same way.
  • As a bonus to the above, the button code is a lot more complete, adding icons or counters or checkboxes can be done.  The display button strip was one of the last PNG sprite holdouts, those icons are now SVG like the rest of the site, you may notice the change.
  • Updated the LIKE JavaScript so the UI properly responds to like / unlike changes.  In 1.1 the "likers" was hidden until you hovered over the like button which was a clean look, but being hidden provided for poor accessibility and a poor mobile experience.  We exposed this line in the last update, but the UI was not dynamic, now it is (again)
  • The PNG sprite used in the headers (some areas) has been removed and those icons changed to existing SVG. 

New Stuff
  • Added a new (experimental) BBC code "icode" This still needs some work as code blocks are a PITA and I have not addressed all the code/icode combinations, including nesting's so still a WIP  But now if you want to place some code inline you can (no its not in the editor toolbar, should it be?) 
  • Added basic Markdown support in the editor.  so typing  **something to bold** will result in something to bold or   *something to italic* will result in  something to italic   maybe even quick inline using fenced tick ` marks.  And yes combinations of that inside standard bbc icode blocks is not going to work right.  Code blocks were complicated enough so consider the last two experimental.  They will mostly work, but there are problematic combinations.

Enjoy :smiley:

Reply #68

I'd say that the icode button shouldn't be into the editor, we already have too many buttons. I will open a new topic for this, probably could be a good idea to group some buttons, specially on mobile.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #69

Sounds like a good topic ... most of those toolbar buttons are never used, and now with some markdown available, perhaps even less at least for me

Reply #70

Quote from: Spuds – Sounds like a good topic ... most of those toolbar buttons are never used, and now with some markdown available, perhaps even less at least for me
I think that's largely contradictory with the especially on mobile comment. **** isn't that easy to type on mobile, imho. Mobile is perhaps the only place where I use those i/b buttons. (But most of the buttons can probably hide behind a few dots or something, particularly if the user can configure which ones they want to hide behind it.)

Reply #71

Fair point, I did munge up a couple of thoughts:monkey_face:

I would think we would keep basic format buttons B, I, U, S, and then maybe some commonly used,, Bullet List, Code, Link ...   Just thinking about the ones that get used, and ones that also render "OK" in wizzy

The Others would, of course,  still be in the Reply/Modify/Preview page aka the full editor.  On QR we could also perhaps add dropdown with the others, or not, or maybe just on mobile.

We can also entertain adding in a @ button since that is also not quick access on mobile (well does depend on the keyboard in use)

Adding in a way to add attachments in QR would be awesome IMO

Reply #72

The program is beautiful and cute.
Can not be relied upon to build a large forum.
For a number of reasons, including:
1- There are no seo features, a description of the site, sections and topics, no sitemas, and no search engine friendly links.
2- The template modification system is very annoying and tiring.
3- The membership system is frankly very bad. And not tidy.

Reply #73

Quote from: SHANKS – There are no seo features, a description of the site, sections and topics, no sitemas, and no search engine friendly links.
Incorrect, read the thread before you post wrong information.  2.0 contains both OG and SCHEMA meta data
Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 08:53:10 am by Spuds

Reply #74

@SHANKS please stop registering and posting with double accounts, that's not allowed here.
sorry for my bad english