Skip to main content
Topic: Quick quote to Elkarte core (Read 3763 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick quote to Elkarte core

I know there is an add-on for this, but it would be nice to have in the core of Elkarte. This is a core feature in SMF 2.1, and to be honest I prefer the SMF behaviour, which does not display the "Quick quote" button until you select some text.

I remember someone already asked for this feature, but I did not find that topic (quote is a trivial word to search).
Thank you.
sorry for my bad english

Re: Quick quote to Elkarte core

Reply #1

It is already mentioned in that addon thread 2 months ago and Spuds already noted it.

Reply #2

Yup I started working on this ... the branch is here: https://github.com/Spuds/elk-quick-quote/tree/20  Its basically @Frenzie addon just with some 2.0 updates.

Was not sure what to do with the added button, but waiting until text is selected is not a bad route.  This version of the addon adds the QQ button on the topic display as well as the post page (that below the post where you can quote from any of the topics messages)

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – Was not sure what to do with the added button, but waiting until text is selected is not a bad route.
Depends on if you want people to actually find out about the feature. :P

But the original design was a quote button that popped up on the top left or right of the selected text actually. I changed it in a manner that I figured looked more integrated. Now perhaps that's what you guys all meant but in any case imo it should be either just there always with the buttons or right at the selection.

Reply #4

Fair enough point ... I've made the initial PR to add this to the core. 

The only admin option is to either always show the button, or just when text is selected.

I'd imagine there are a few edge cases that will show up, the bugs are most likely mine :P  The option will be available on the display page (that the view with quick reply), the post page (down below with the other messages in the topic) and in PM (only on the reply page, where the editor is available duh)

I'll try to get the site updated this weekend with the latest batch of changes, including this one!

Reply #5

Yeah, I think it'd be better at the selection itself. There's probably some code in my repo if you look at an old commit, but it may not be worthwhile to reuse stuff from like '03-'05.

The biggest issue with the quick quote as part of the other buttons is that you don't really have it in view for really long replies, but in this case that's exacerbated by it being in hiding unless you select something.

Reply #6

That is an interesting idea, to have the button appear close to the text that has been selected ....  I'll investigate that !

Reply #7

I have that done on my local and its quite a nice.   I dropped adding the button, hidden or not, to the button "line" and just have it using this floating button action.  It simplified things nicely and its a better user experience.   It will be in the next site update.

Reply #8

There is something wrong with this, to reproduce:
- in quick reply enable View source (eye icon)
- double click to select the text from the post above
- you will get double quotes
(tested with Firefox)
I'm not sure of this, but seems that if you double click the text to select it, then click outside to deselect, then double click again to select, you will get something like this:

Quote from: Spuds – I have that done on my local and its quite a nice.   I dropped adding the button, hidden or not, to the button "line" and just have it using this floating button action.  It simplified things nicely and its a better user experience.   It will be in the next site update.
Quote from: Spuds – I have that done on my local and its quite a nice.   I dropped adding the button, hidden or not, to the button "line" and just have it using this floating button action.  It simplified things nicely and its a better user experience.   It will be in the next site update.

sorry for my bad english

Reply #9

:thinking:I could see that happening with double / triple clicks to select some/all the text. 

The event was setup for a mouse down, drag to highlight, then mouse up action,  I'll see what can be done.

Reply #10

I was able to reproduce this on my local, it is the double+ clicks that are propagating through. 

I put a fix in place that seems to work, will update the site when I put in the other updated quick quote code.

Reply #11

Quote from: radu81 – I'm not sure of this, but seems that if you double click the text to select it, then click outside to deselect, then double click again to select, you will get something like this:

I love the Droste effect.

Reply #12

As noted in the update thread, the problem should be fixed now

Reply #13

It works. Nice job @Spuds!

Reply #14

Thanks !

ETA: fixing time offset in QQ
Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:48:34 am by Spuds