Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte Community Android App (Read 17456 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ElkArte Community Android App

Reply #15

@Burke Knight have you read this? I can see that you are writing app, so, maybe you can venture into this too?

Reply #16

Quote from: ahrasis – @Burke Knight have you read this? I can see that you are writing app, so, maybe you can venture into this too?

Well, I kind of cheat when making apps....  ;)
I use an online app maker.... LOL

Something like this, would be best, though, not to go that route.
Another way, would be something like Android Forums did, and that's using Tapatalk's system for people making their own app using their platform. However:

QuoteHow Much Does a Tapatalk BYO License Cost?

$69/month will grant you one license that will allow you to create a custom branded app for one forum for iOS or Android or both. There is only once license available even if you produce apps for only one platform.

So, best idea, in my opinion, would be making own app, somehow.
Yes, the app maker I used, is okay, but you also have to pay a monthly fee, if want to remove their branding from the about page in app. Also, all it really is, is just a simple browser app, set to your site.

Reply #17

We are thinking to add notification to the app. That will require some real workout. ;)

Reply #18

As advised here, I find json is the way to create a realtime notification on android app. Currently, I have some free time to read and study more on json to retrieve and pass information to php. This one, I'd say, is a good reading to practise: http://www.geeks.gallery/simple-json-parsing-example-in-android-part-vi/
http://www.androidhive.info/2012/10/android-push-notifications-using-google-cloud-messaging-gcm-php-and-mysql/
Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:38:25 pm by ahrasis

Reply #19

Interesting stuff for sure!!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

This apk has been published. You may now download it from Google Play (Market) as well. No additional addon for notification yet.

Reply #21

Installing. You have a developer license @ahrasis  ?

Reply #22

Installed. Looks like you have used WebView to make this app.

PS : Forgot the main part, Nice work :thumbsup:

Reply #23

Yes, I do have a license as its the cheapest compared to IOS. :P

Webview is the easiest. Still working on notification addon for the app.

Reply #24

Mind sharing the technique to add notifications to an app. I too make some webview apps. Would be great to know.

Reply #25

Read previous replies and you'll find several guides are there already. We just want to make it works on elkarte.

Reply #26

I must say it was very cool to find ElkArte in the play store :D  Great job @ahrasis

Reply #27

Sorry @meetdilip for not answering. There is a way but I haven't done anything for it. Just wait as the knowledge to do it will be more openly shared.

In the meantime, I have added a proper connection error message if you are offline while opening this app. I will post to google play once everything is check out fine.

Reply #28

Quite nice, Ahrasis :) I see it basically renders the web version of the site, which is fine really. But it does have some glitches, because the theme has glitches. Most notably is that the icon-based main menu when breaking over 2 lines, will hide the top of the content. On my LG G2 it does that in portrait mode.

Reply #29

I will be updating this app with some minor fixes and may be some additions. As a note, default menu and even footer may be overidden by css injection if there is no need for it filling up the space.

Fixes:
- Fixed the orientation issue i.e. the site view is currently reloading to default when orientation changes.

Additions:
- Hamburger side menu with icons?
- CSS injections?

Any other issues you are facing? Any css injections you wanna suggest?