Skip to main content
Topic: Should we branch RC2 and let dev deal with 2.0? (Read 3610 times) previous topic - next topic

Should we branch RC2 and let dev deal with 2.0?

What do you think?
Or do you prefer to keep dev for 1.1 until it's ready?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Should we branch RC2 and let dev deal with 2.0?

Reply #1

I don't quite understand.

Reply #3

This topic is about creating a new branch for further development (Elk 2, tentatively) :)
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #4

Basically it means doing only bug fixes on 1.1 from now on and moving any new stuff to a future 2.0. Seems apt enough but don't forget about finishing 1.1 'cause new features are more exciting. :P

Reply #5

Thanks @Frenzie, that clarifies it. I agree on this too. Once 1.1 is gold, the developers should focus on 2.0 leaving 1.1 for bugs and security fixing only. New features should only be for 2.0 therefrom. To avoid distractions, I'd suggest that backports of any features to earlier should not be done except whenever really needed and possible only which is via addons, if any.

Reply #6

Another question.
What is the schedule for the completion of the 2.0 final? How long shall it take approximately? A year? Two years?
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Reply #7

Well, my personal goal was to release every 1 year and a half.
Now 1.1 took about three years, so I still guess 1 year and a half, but who knows. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I say do whatever makes Elk even more successful. 

Reply #9

1.1 is currently in RC status. I would find it not logical to do anything but bug fixes to the release.
If there are major ideas for the future, the pragmatic approach would be to reserver them for the forthcoming release. And the best would make that future release backward compatible so that addons, themes and language support can still be used.

Reply #10

Elk is already feature complete as it is, and plugins can take care of the rest, so im guessing 2.0 and clean slate (not caring about backward compatibility) is the way to go...

Reply #11

I agree, 1.1 and also 1.0 (since most people are using this version) only for bug and security fixes. New features to 2.0 version.

There are also the addons to be considered, without them updated to 1.1 we are stucked at 1.0 version
sorry for my bad english

Reply #12

yeah, just leave 1.1 and start 2.0 anew. :)
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #13

Quote from: radu81 – I agree, 1.1 and also 1.0 (since most people are using this version) only for bug and security fixes. New features to 2.0 version.
There are also the addons to be considered, without them updated to 1.1 we are stucked at 1.0 version

That's also my opinion. Nevertheless, in addition to that, the development of new addons should be continued, that already work with 1.1.
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0