Skip to main content
Topic: EU notification of the site use of cookies (Read 23179 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EU notification of the site use of cookies

Reply #30

Sorry about that but I didn't know and as said, I just guess.

And that may be because I was re-reading this thread from what we have previously discussed about / regarding this and misunderstood your previous response:

And since you confirmed otherwise, so . . . :P

Reply #31

No problem! It's a bit confusing and I am a bit of responsible for that.  O:-)

Reply #32

Quote from: Jorin – Edit: Hey @Spuds, I got the error with the link inserted at the beginning of the text, not at the cursor position! I wrote the text above, marked the part "this one", clicked on the URL BBC button, inserted the URL https://cookie-bar.eu/, and the code jumps at the very beginning of the text.  :o
If you are using Edge then I know about that problem and have a work around committed for RC2

Reply #33

Here in europa a site do not set any cookie until the visitor have accepted that.
Also you need a info page, on where you can see wich cookie is set, from where it's comes and for what it's used.

This we have on our Forum Release implemented ..
So it's NO cookie set, but a Visitor can browse the site (limited) without any cookie !!
No session id cookie .. simple nothing ..  only Spider can set cookies (he never see the ECL overlay)  ;)

For normal Visitors a small overlay at the top is shown until you click on "I accept cookies" ..
Then a ECL cookie is set for 30 days, and a session id cookie is created.

If a visitor comes back before the ecl cookie becomes timeout, no ecl screen is shown and the ecl cookie is set fot the next 30 days. Have the user a valid login cookie, he is logged in automatically.

Also we have implemented a "Spider test", so you can see what a Spider can see and what he can do ..
If you start a Spidertest,. you will be logged out and all cookies are removed. Now you are a Spider  :o
You can Browse the forum and what YOU can see also a Spider can see .. a good test I think ..

If you stop the Spidertest, you are automatically logged in and all your cookies are restored.

That is what we need in Europe  ;)

Fel
Many are stubborn in relation to the path, a few in relation to the target.
Visit our new Forum Project on https://www.portamx.com

Reply #34

Quote from: Feline – Here in europa a site do not set any cookie until the visitor have accepted that.
Also you need a info page, on where you can see wich cookie is set, from where it's comes and for what it's used.

Would you happen to have a link to the German implementation of the EU directive? I've laid out my position here.

Reply #36

At http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm#section_2 it refers to the same source I mentioned regarding cookies that are exempt. In many countries something like a PHPSESSID cookie also has implied consent because it's completely harmless, even though it's probably non-essential. (That being said, what does Elk use it for anyway?)

Reply #37

well .. our Forum works (without the ECL cookie and without a session cookie) mostly complete ..
you can see most content but not login or register a account.
also we have a info screen for the description of each cookie we use. also exactly what is describe in the legislative ...
and I don't understand why other forum's that NOT have...
if you live in a other country you can disable this function.
Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:47:19 am by Feline

Reply #38

Yes, Feline, you are fairly perfect with your forum software, we all know. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Quote from: Frenzie – (That being said, what does Elk use it for anyway?)
IIRC (but it's a while I don't check it out), the PHPSESSID is used to store the current session name.
The session is then used to:
1) maintain what most of the forum admins want the most:
QuoteMost Online Today: 55
2) Partially is used for http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=stats too (i.e. the part that keeps track only every so often).
3) For "customization" (e.g. toggling of the header/other elements).
4) The only other case I think the session is used for guests is in case of bans to avoid checking at each and every page load the status in the database (but actually this is covered by another specific cookie).
5) Of course, it's also used in case of guests allowed to posts (should remember both the last time of the post (attempt to reduce spam) and the id data like selected user name and email), and guests allowed to vote in pulls (keeps track of the vote as a soft way to prevent multiple votes... as valid as it is).

There are two somehow not so solid points:
1) the point 1 above, that strictly speaking is not exactly necessary to provide the service,
2) the lifetime of the cookie is usually not set to expire, though the session is set to be removed every... hour or so, so even though the cookie with the session name remains, the session disappears from the server, so, all in all the information of the cookie after the session is expired is pointless.

All the other points, to my understanding, are fairly within the specifications of the law.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #39

It is indeed a beaut of a cookie information notice @Feline !

Quote1) the point 1 above, that strictly speaking is not exactly necessary to provide the service,
Right, I guess that one could potentially be tricky if your local jurisdiction has decided to implement the EU directive draconically for some reason. But when you consider that according to 00879/12/EN WP 194 even limited first-party analytics is regarded as borderline exempt already, with a recommendation to add a third exemption, then this little "is this even analytics?" cookie to provide an approximate number of unique visitors doesn't seem worth nearly as much thought as we're giving it right now. :P

Quote2) the lifetime of the cookie is usually not set to expire, though the session is set to be removed every... hour or so, so even though the cookie with the session name remains, the session disappears from the server, so, all in all the information of the cookie after the session is expired is pointless.
Maybe it depends on what you do while looking around but when I check it just says it'll be deleted when you close the browser.

Reply #40

Quote from: Frenzie – doesn't seem worth nearly as much thought as we're giving it right now. :P
O:-)

Quote from: Frenzie –
Quote2) the lifetime of the cookie is usually not set to expire, though the session is set to be removed every... hour or so, so even though the cookie with the session name remains, the session disappears from the server, so, all in all the information of the cookie after the session is expired is pointless.
Maybe it depends on what you do while looking around but when I check it just says it'll be deleted when you close the browser.
hmm... maybe I was wrong. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #41

Quote from: emanuele – Yes, Feline, you are fairly perfect with your forum software, we all know. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Well .. I do my best .. but perfectly ? no.. but I do that from where I think that  what I do is good for our members. so you can stop your ironic.
thanks, Feline

Reply #42

Quote from: Feline – if you live in a other country you can disable this function.

I was thinking is there a simple way to make this cookie notification appears only in EU countries as it could be annoying for people from other countries to see the notification not related to them each time?

Reply #43

it is not the point from where the visitor comes. the point is who the site is hosted and who is the home of the site owner ..

Reply #44

So, this EU Cookie laws are affecting "only" site's hosting place and owner or end users as well? Before, I thought it depends on the end users, where they are i.e. if they are in EU, they must be notified by this cookie notification, otherwaise, if they are from other countries, they don't have to be notified.