Skip to main content
Topic: The mobile theme (Read 7690 times) previous topic - next topic

The mobile theme

For beta, we feature the mobile theme forums need so much these days. It makes many of us happy! :D

IchBin is working on it, you can find it at:
https://github.com/IchBin/Elkarte/tree/mobile

Feel free to checkout the branch and test it, improve it, propose patches for what is missing! It's in development stage (don't expect it to be fully usable!), and you're welcome to contribute to it.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: The mobile theme

Reply #1

Today I decided to become slightly more mad than I already am and started playing with jQuery mobile (again).
Since when IchBin stopped working on the theme above, several things changed quite a bit, so I took his as a source of inspiration and decided to start "from scratch".
At the moment I played with part of the board index, the info center is still not done yet, attached the result.

TBH I'm not the best person to deal with themes in general, mobile themes in particular (since the only way I have to test it is using a resized window of my computer LOL), so... well, usual stuff. :P

The theme is not yet in a repo, I'll see the next few days. ;D

Reply #2

Coolness ... I still like the idea of the lighter weight theme for mobile.  Be interesting as you get further along how much "less" it is vs responsive. 

@IchBin I think emanuele just called you a slacker  :P  but don't worry, I get that all the time !

Reply #3

He also found out why I am a slacker. Cuz jquery mobile means completely new theme pretty much. And it sucks to write in jquery mode. lol
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #4

So what's the purpose of having a mobile theme and a responsive design together?

Reply #5

A mobile theme would be much lighter on size and much faster on speed compared to a full blown theme with responsive design.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #6

For me it's mainly a way to explore jQuery mobile, and I agree with @IchBin is quite a pain... lol

Quote from: Spuds – Be interesting as you get further along how much "less" it is vs responsive.
I just sort of finished the BoardIndex, at least it looks usable I think.
In terms of pure HTML, I saved the file with Chrome and I got these results:
full theme 52,954 B
mobile 33,067 B
Full page (saved as mht with Opera):
full theme 522.3 KiB
mobile 828.7 KiB
So, in terms of html there is quite a bit less (~40% less), though even removing all the original css (the various index*.css from Elk are empty), the 194 KiB of the jQuery mobile and the 202 KiB of the corresponding css file are killing any gain. Of course these two files should be cached, so used just during the first load (in theory).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Thanks IchBin.  Good to know.