[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47756 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #30

I'd rather have a sub menu than a separator in this case, although ideally I'd like the option of both. I have thought about coding for separators. They're available in the poster dropdown (just hard code 'em in) but not in the main menu arrays. Wouldn't be hard to arrange.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #31

Thought of the day: I would remove completely the "search" button in the members page.
Instead I would add directly the search box (that anyway would be a duplicate of the one at the top) with a kind of dropdown "onfocus" to show the options. Opinions?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #32

Yeah that could work. Not a bad plan.

Reply #33

That may also count as reducing the number of pages/templates around Elk! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #34

Yeah but it'll still mean making one combined one not look like crap, so just as much work. :D

Reply #35

But make it look nice is your field, not mine. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #36

Yeah I know.  ;D

Reply #37

Quote from: Antechinus –
QuoteOther applications place it at the end of menu row, or even more, in a corner of its own (like search is).
I don't care what they do. I just want this one right. :D Hiding it somewhere else is not going to improve things, IMO.

For example: imagine it to the right of the Search thing. "Antechinus". Dropdown, with a few stuffs, like My Account, My Messages, etc, and Logout last.
It's not hidden (it's more visible than an item with the rest of the menu IMHO). It's just different.

I'm not convinced it'd be better, though. Good ole' menu will do fine too.

ETA: oh, or instead of where logout is this week! ;D

TestMonkey missed that.
Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:01:10 am by TestMonkey
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #38

Quote from: Antechinus – Yeah but it'll still mean making one combined one not look like crap, so just as much work. :D
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2728/qve0.png

Apart from the slightly misaligned things. ;)

https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/tree/members_search
In particular:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/commit/3133bde993c499f33f679997c36119c58d1d4515
Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:32:44 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #40

Quote from: Antechinus – Ok, Plan #4756291 Subsection 2 Appendix 4329z..............................  :D  :P  O:-)

Can we maybe agree to handle the personal stuffz title as follows?

My Account is perhaps (perhaps) more neutral in tone and "professional" (meaning boring) than "My Stuff", even though I am sure 99% of professionals would be fine with the latter. It's also clearly labelling by function.

So, if someone has profile permissions but not PM permissions, just give them a "My Account" title with profile stuffz in the droppy.

Like.

Quote from: Antechinus – If they have PM permissions but not profile permissions, give them a "My Messages" title with PM stuffz in the droppy.

If they have both PM and profile permissions, give them a "My Account" title with both PM and profile stuff in the droppy (PM first, as it will probably be used more often) and...

if they also have new PM's, change the title to "My Messages", along with the usual numeric indicator. This would just be an extra bit of eye-catching when they have new PM's.

Don't like, this would be fairly confusing. IMHO, find a term and stick with it. If message notifications are inappropriate for My Account, then either split them or find a different name for the link.

Also, why does [Like]ing a post make the page refresh and do nothing? I must have [Like]ed Ant's Calendar/Memberlist basic link post about three times, yet it simply refreshed the page and showed me nothing. Did someone break it, or did they just bork the implementation?

Reply #41

Like (and unlike) works for me...
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

test

Reply #42

TestMonkey thinks someone made an Eliana-only version.   :-X
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #43

Yup basic idea is ok, but I think I'd be more inclined to handle it like the other search form: slide down advanced stuffz panel. Keep it out of the pagesection area, just to make things easier there.

I've never been all that keen on the letter links in the header bar either. They chew a lot of width, particularly if someone ups their font size, and they're almost unusable on touch screen. We should think about giving the whole page a bit of a revamp IMO.

Reply #44

Quote from: TestMonkey – For example: imagine it to the right of the Search thing. "Antechinus". Dropdown, with a few stuffs, like My Account, My Messages, etc, and Logout last.
It's not hidden (it's more visible than an item with the rest of the menu IMHO). It's just different.

I'm not convinced it'd be better, though. Good ole' menu will do fine too.
I still think having the username as the ttle is completely unnatural, and doesn't really tell me anything useful. Every time I look at it, having tried it on local, I think "WTF is this sh :P t?". If it makes me react like that, I think it's likely some other people will react the same way. What is wrong with labelling menu items by function? (novel concept, patent applied for)