Skip to main content
Topic: Can I link to ElkArta folder from outside the folder like... (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I link to ElkArta folder from outside the folder like...

If I put ElkArta in a folder like forum on my site, can I then put a forum.php that links to the folder of the program and run it like that?

I put the question up in the https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=575074.0;topicseen with deeper details and the answer from people. I was thinking there must be a way, maybe someone knows something - some gold to make it possible :P

Re: Can I link to ElkArta folder from outside the folder like...

Reply #1

Please don't relate your post in that forum with this. Both are no more related.

Anyway, I can see the answer in there is clear enough and no repetition is needed i.e. you can mod yourself or pay someone else to do for you.

I think the later suit you better since I don't think you understand softwares, moreover programming principles behind them, so let your hired ones advise you.

Reply #2

Quote from: ahrasis – Please don't relate your post in that forum with this. Both are no more related.

Anyway, I can see the answer in there is clear enough and no repetition is needed i.e. you can mod yourself or pay someone else to do for you.

I think the later suit you better since I don't think you understand softwares, moreover programming principles behind them, so let your hired ones advise you.

I was hoping this forum software had done something that made it possible as you say non related to SMF. Although the same issue is at hand in both of them. This is something you see in many addons for Webpages, that you link to further files like inside a folder. My video and music player and XMPP chat and picture program works like that pretty much where the user can decide from a specific point :)

That's all.

And indeed I'm no programmer, but I know a lot of programmers tend to go off track from sanity a lot of times sadly :/ Anyway, don't have the money either - I'll guess I'll live with it. Do a subdomain and run it like that. Like Forum.JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life - and hope for the best in the future that some fix gets around. Clearly this should have been worked out from the very beginning, it would have been the sane choice to do.
Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:47:17 am by Darkijah
Dearly Regards - Darkijah - May Jayshua the Anointed, God Almighty who died for the Sins of the world bless you with wholesome health and eyes to see!
Websites: https://JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life and https://Paven666.dk

Reply #3

Quote from: Darkijah –
Quote from: ahrasis – Please don't relate your post in that forum with this. Both are no more related.

I was hoping this forum software had done something that made it possible as you say non related to SMF. Although the same issue is at hand in both of them. This is something you see in many addons for Webpages, that you link to further files like inside a folder. My video and music player and XMPP chat and picture program works like that pretty much where the user can decide from a specific point :)

That's all.

And indeed I'm no programmer, but I know a lot of programmers tend to go off track from sanity a lot of times sadly :/ Anyway, don't have the money either - I'll guess I'll live with it. Do a subdomain and run it like that. Like Forum.JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life - and hope for the best in the future that some fix gets around. Clearly this should have been worked out from the very beginning, it would have been the sane choice to do.

Why do you feel it’s the sane choice?

I’d argue quite strongly that it’s the insane choice.

The sane choice is to have it in a sub domain

Reply #4

Well, Tino - just wanted it like the rest, It should not have been to hard to fix it somehow from the main folder. Like would just have been nice to link it with a forum.php to a specific folder and have it run. In any case, I've tried to fix a forum in a folder named forum, and although it does not have the php, it at least works somewhat like the other links I have on my page. I just like to have things the same, like order and such :)
Maybe it could have been made by php include to a folder with it all - if they any programmer would like to have done anything about it. I'm thinking a forum.php might have made an include link to another php file that would have run the forum.

In any case, it is a small matter I guess and most likely not something that anyone will fix - but that's my thought of one way of somehow helping to fix it in one stage. Most likely other stages would be needed. But if one can link both ways, it should be possible :)

Reply #5

How do you propose it works running from this ‘forum.php’ file? At a guess I’d say it’s about two weeks work to change this. That’s not including all the modifications which will also need to be fixed.

Actually thinking about it I can’t remember any website I visit which has a forum has a forum.php file.

It seems nonsensical when you can change the subdomain or have it inside a /forum/ folder like 99% of the world. I don’t think the paid forum software even have this so called ‘feature’

Reply #6

Well I seem to have settled on having my forum in /forum although still looking around and thinking if to go one way or the other. It's better then nothing for sure and not overall bad. I'm kinda just like having things work the same. Like every other page has .php - anyway just something I wondered I guess.

Reply #7

Funny how you weren't nearly so understanding or accepting when you had this argument with me over on that other place...