Skip to main content
Topic: PM features in mobilz? (Read 11373 times) previous topic - next topic

PM features in mobilz?

So yes, I've been making some arbitrary decisions with this jquery mobile theme. I've been leaving out all admin stuff. I've also been leaving out things like not displaying any post moderation stuff. The only access to change settings I'm going to leave in is for the ability to edit one's profile assuming permission is given.

At this point, I'm wondering about PM's. This is a fun template to mobilize... (not). So I'm wondering for mobilz if I should forget the different display options for showing PM in different ways and just stick with one way. Basically I want to leave out the conversation mode. But not really sure. What do you guys think? I just don't envision a true mobile theme like this having access to all the features and options that the desktop version has. But maybe you guys should give input before I get to far down that road. :D
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Re: PM features in mobilz?

Reply #1

I've already got it on mobile anywayz with my guinea pig. You do wotcha like.

However, I can tell you that more and more people expect the full shizzle on mobile too. If they don't get it, they grumble. That's why (for the site I run) I had to make a mobile theme that has everything (including shoutbox).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

While I'm thinking of it, IMO what's really needed is not a "mobile theme" in the traditional (hey) sense, but more of a "touchscreen theme" that can adapt layout to suit phone or tablet. Just thinking in terms of phone or desktop doesn't really make sense any more.

Reply #3

I agree to a certain extent. Yes our theme would be best if it handled both mobile/desktop without problems. But I think a mobile only theme is very necessary, in particular because of how much is getting output in a regular theme. The mobile theme will cut down on a quite a lot of extra markup that gets removed because it doesn't need to be displayed. CSS and Javascript will be compressed by default with less CSS and javascript files to load as well.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #4

I can see the need to PM's as well as basic post moderation items (move, delete, lock, sticky come to mind).   At least I tend to use those from the mobile interface I use.  

I don't see a strong need for any of the admin stuff, really if you need that when on your phone you are in a world of hurt :P 

I also like the separate mobile theme, just seems easier to maintain and update, granted it will not give as integrated and consistent feel to a site, but beats the heck out of the wap interface we had.

Reply #5

As far as post moderation, I only meant that there wasn't any approval of posts type of moderation put into it. Lock/sticky/remove etc are definitely needed.

Reply #6

Quote from: IchBin – So I'm wondering for mobilz if I should forget the different display options for showing PM in different ways and just stick with one way. Basically I want to leave out the conversation mode.
Was just thinking about this. My 2c: conversation mode is the one most people are going to want. If you are going to leave out anything, I'd be leaving out the other modes.

Reply #7

Theme-wise the different modes are basically the same...they just differ for few buttons and the text in the bar... the one at a time is the only one a bit different.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I discovered that after getting a little more deep into ema. I think both of the modes may work, just need to work on it a bit more. Have been too busy the last couple of weeks. I think it's getting pretty close though.

Reply #9

Im especially excited to see this :D

I remember it back on its first few days.

Reply #10

Anyone is free to look at it, test it, add to it....

https://github.com/IchBin/Elkarte/tree/mobile

Reply #11

http://graemespence.co.uk/elkmobile/Elkarte-mobile/index.php

I've got that version up from git :)

Looks very good as it always did, just waiting for post functionality, do you have an issue tracker or should I use the elk one :P?

Bug 1: Posts show in bold, regardless if content is or isn't. 

Its shaping up to look much better than tapatalk anyway.

Reply #12

Quote from: Trekkie101 – http://graemespence.co.uk/elkmobile/Elkarte-mobile/index.php

I've got that version up from git :)

Looks very good as it always did, just waiting for post functionality, do you have an issue tracker or should I use the elk one :P?

Its shaping up to look much better than tapatalk anyway.

Ohh! This looks so cool and better than tapatalk indeed! Thanks, Trekkie :D

Unless Brad really wants to enable his issue tracker (on his own repo), I'd rather suggest for us to use the Elk tracker. Keeps things in a place where people can browse them, find them, test them, add to them, fix them. I have also enabled the milestone tracker on Elk repository:
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/milestones
For people to see what's left, and even a small-very approximate- view of "how much" is left.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #13

On a side note.
I don't know about you, but I just love the rounded text fields and the fadeouts!
For the general look 'n feel, it's just seems very pleasant to the eye.
TBH, it reminds me of a particular mockup I've seen at Ant, during his very early 2.1 drafts. It wasn't actually this powerful (only a small step towards it), but I was hoping to become this way (it didn't).

/just me, barging in on them design. (sorry :D)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #14

Use the login forever toggle on the login page, I like that.