Skip to main content
Topic: Quote to new topic (Read 412968 times) previous topic - next topic

Quote to new topic

A while ago someone asked that at sm.org and I made a small mod:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Quote-to-new-topic
The idea is that frequently discussions derail. Diligent users (yeah, we know are very very few...), may find useful to start a new discussion from a quote, this mod facilitate this operation giving a button that quote the message and instead of bringing the user to the "reply" page, it brings to the "post new topic" page. Additionally the mod tracks the origin of the quote and the newly created discussion cross-linking the two with a note somewhere: for the message that generated the new discussion I used the space usually reserved for custom profile fields "below (or is it above?) the signature", while for the newly started topic I put the link to the original discussion within the "discussion" buttons (reply, add poll, etc.) to avoid template edits.

Another thing Feature Cat may find interesting. :P

emanuele is throwing here all his mods so that he can stop to support them O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Quote to new topic

Reply #1

I could certainly see that as being quite useful ... may save the moderators the effort of the constant topic split when they go off in a new direction ... on the rare occasions that happens  :'(

Reply #2

I like this idea too. Sounds pretty useful. Why don't we have likes here on this forum yet? ;)
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – I could certainly see that as being quite useful ... may save the moderators the effort of the constant topic split when they go off in a new direction ... on the rare occasions that happens  :'(
On my forum, last time I had to split 7 pages of completely OT discussion from a 9 pages topic... LOL
Unfortunately this button wouldn't help much in such situations, because the OT grows slowly with posts both belonging and not belonging to the discussion...but that's another issue. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

That's the only problem I can see with it in practice. Still could be useful though.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Just thinking out loud, that same solution (i.e. link to another topic), may be used also when splitting: it would be easy to attach to the new topic "something" that says "this come from here", not sure where put the information on the original topic (i.e. from this topic another one has been created...maybe just a post from a bot...hey, wait I think I did that too somewhere else...yes, here: https://github.com/emanuele45/Split-and-move (see also the description on the mod site).

I think I should combine the two, it may come out something nice! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Dis rreminds me of the behavior of mailing lists interrfaces: you starrts a new thrread frrom a quote, by changing the subject of the next email.
Easy, handy, yummy.

Quote from: emanuele – The idea is that frequently discussions derail. Diligent users (yeah, we know are very very few...), may find useful to start a new discussion from a quote, this mod facilitate this operation giving a button that quote the message and instead of bringing the user to the "reply" page, it brings to the "post new topic" page.

Dis behavior is also consistent with Post select boarrd mod, that lets you to post into a different boarrd than where you starrted the post...

Feature Cat thinks that the user interface for these related features has to be consistent too.
 Feature Cat likes consistency. :P

QuoteAdditionally the mod tracks the origin of the quote and the newly created discussion cross-linking the two with a note somewhere: for the message that generated the new discussion I used the space usually reserved for custom profile fields "below (or is it above?) the signature", while for the newly started topic I put the link to the original discussion within the "discussion" buttons (reply, add poll, etc.) to avoid template edits.
QuoteJust thinking out loud, that same solution (i.e. link to another topic), may be used also when splitting: it would be easy to attach to the new topic "something" that says "this come from here", not sure where put the information on the original topic (i.e. from this topic another one has been created...maybe just a post from a bot...hey, wait I think I did that too somewhere else...yes, here: https://github.com/emanuele45/Split-and-move (see also the description on the mod site).

Thing is, must choose then, for all links to "dis continues der": either a link in a reserrved space in the origin post, or an automatic message.

Feature Cat thinks that a reserrved space in the origin message is the best, if we cans make it into a sub-section of its own, templating-wise too. Think of "follow-up here" links...

Brrr... but in the other dirrection ("dis comes frrom der") ain't so useful, is it? Do you care, when you split off-topic without a quote, you probably do dat cuz it ain't relevant...

Reply #7

Also, what about when someone changes the title of one posts just for fun, or whatever reason, as people sometimes do? They don't necessarily want it split to a new thread. Sometimes it's just a way of accentuating a post within a thread.

Now admittedly, like changing message icons, this is not essential functionality and could probably be ditched. It is something people are used to, though. So, if we are going to ditch it we'd better make sure we know what we're doing and why.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr < extra r's, just so Feature Cat can understand post. Yer welkum. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #8

I don't think Feature Cat suggested to do the same thing. But Ema's quote to new topic is the equivalent functionality. (well, roughly offering a similar opportunity to change the topic)

Although...... now that you say that... People sometimes use the title change to accentuate something, yes, but if I think of it: it goes mostly unnoticed. The title just isn't that visible when changed randomly in the thread...
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #9

https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/commit/303bebaa622a53210f54f13e6e426e749cd0a3f9

That is not the main part of the topic, but just the option to move the newly created topic while splitting.

ETA: at the moment the code doesn't give any warning if the user has move_own, but he is not the owner of the new topic...not sure if it makes sense to use fatal_lang_error, since it would just force the user to come back, I'd say a nice error/warning message would be enough.
Any opinion?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Part of that behavior would be a good doc comment  O:-)

Reply #12

This afternoon I realised something was not nice: the boards dropdown included all the boards visible to the user, having to make him guess where to post, so:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/commit/cd1e33c8c5d515628271aa8b6881b6a634df2eec
I changed a bit allBoard to accommodate also permissions checks O:-)
 emanuele likes stuff many things together... :P
(and since Spuds liked it's now on his way to the main repo)

Now, there is still just one minor thing left: the button is currently displayed only if the user can post in the board, while it should be displayed if the user has post_new permission on at least one board, easy to do.

I'm not sure if this will be in core, if not, it will for sure become an addon. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Thank you!

Quote from: emanuele – Now, there is still just one minor thing left: the button is currently displayed only if the user can post in the board, while it should be displayed if the user has post_new permission on at least one board, easy to do.
Right, this should be default behavior, methinks.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #14

Quick note: I'm sort of rebasing the branch to the new master because I realised I merged a branch I didn't need for that specific job (and that may require further work), getTopicsInfo.
As soon as this and the couple of other small issues are fixed I'll push it again and send the PR. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.