Skip to main content
Topic: Hiding Avatar Option To Hiding Poster Info Section (Read 7378 times) previous topic - next topic

Hiding Avatar Option To Hiding Poster Info Section

This is already in SMF for ages. I am do not know why it must actually be there but perhaps because people like details of poster info to be shown in a display/post page.

My view is, if possible that is, instead of hiding only avatar, why not hiding the whole poster info section. And while that is hidden, the ordinary info (which is currently available/existed in SMF 2.0) is already there to show who is posting at what time & date and reply # etc.

The point is, important info can still be made available via their name same as it has been done here i.e. when you hover on it. If space is important, then attending to this is a must.

Yes, I know I have been putting this idea again and again. And I know that can be modded or themed. Do think about it.

Re: Hiding Avatar Option To Hiding Poster Info Section

Reply #1

Do you mean hiding more than we do now, when everything in under drop?

I tracked the discussion either way, for improvements. https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/221
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #2

Here is an example of hiding all of the poster area, not just the avatars.

It puts the poster name up in the top line with the date/subject and has the drop-down associated with the name.  This provides for a larger post area and a compact poster info area (when don't show avatars is chosen)

Reply #3

I want a like button. So I can like this.

Reply #4

Its a good option, particularly on smaller screens, and is very easy to arrange. I say include it.

Although, quite honestly it is only an advantage on smaller screens. Making lines of text too long is bad for readability.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Thanks  :)

Do we want to use this in place of hide avatars or as another layout option, like compact view? 

Reply #6

Hmm. Good question. I'd be inclined to say instead of.

Reply #7

Quote from: Spuds – Here is an example of hiding all of the poster area, not just the avatars.

It puts the poster name up in the top line with the date/subject and has the drop-down associated with the name.  This provides for a larger post area and a compact poster info area (when don't show avatars is chosen)

Ah, lovely! I can see the use of this. But, what would be nice to have here... option per board. A default per board, chosen by admin. If admin sets 'compact view', then it's not overridable. /hides
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #8

Why? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Reply #9

Allows to set a default appearance for more content-focused boards: stories, roleplaying, article-like. They're different than the 'rest' of chat, site stuff, off-topic, stuff every forum has.

Reply #10

Honestly, seriously, no. Not as default. That's just ridiculous bloat. How users want to view posts is their decision, not the decision of some power-crazed twat who wants to think for them.

Reply #11

Quote from: Antechinus – Honestly, seriously, no. Not as default. That's just ridiculous bloat. How users want to view posts is their decision, not the decision of some power-crazed twat who wants to think for them.
Devil's advocate mode: isn't the theme itself a way to present the forum to users and guests decided by "some power-crazed twat who wants to think for them"?
Any admin can change the theme per-board, so this is basically already possible.

But, I think I like this:
Quote from: Spuds – Do we want to use this in place of hide avatars or as another layout option, like compact view? 
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Quote from: Antechinus – Honestly, seriously, no. Not as default. That's just ridiculous bloat.
I think you're right, it doesn't really make sense this way.

An option along the others is perfectly fine.

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele – Devil's advocate mode: isn't the theme itself a way to present the forum to users and guests decided by "some power-crazed twat who wants to think for them"?
Well, you do have to present some interface. :D Some level of power-crazed twattery is required in practice, but I think it's a good idea to keep it to a fairly low level.