Skip to main content
Topic: Main item of the menu clickable as source of user confusion (Read 5711 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Main item of the menu clickab...

Main item of the menu clickable as source of user confusion

Quote from: Spuds – I could not decide if there should be another item in the quote dropdown, i.e. the default action of the quote button itself.

That would make it like the more button in that the default action of more is modify, but modify its also available in the dropdown.

This inherited inconsistency is already present in the main menu and it is confusing. I don't think it is a good idea to spread the dropdown menu inconsistency to other parts of the interface.

On the other hand, if you don't include the default quote action in the dropdown list I am sure that there will be users clicking on "quote to new topic" thinking that it is the only option. For example, at simplemachines.org site there were confusions about the "Online Manual" link. Some people would just click on the only option in the dropdown list and go to the deprecated documentation instead of the new wiki. People are inclined to click on something on the list instead of the button itself. I guess the main reason for this is the dropdown menu behaviour of Windows.

I think ElkArte community should consider changing this menu behaviour completely before the first stable release.

Re: Main item of the menu clickable as source of user confusion

Reply #1

Quote from: tycms –
Quote from: Spuds – I could not decide if there should be another item in the quote dropdown, i.e. the default action of the quote button itself.

That would make it like the more button in that the default action of more is modify, but modify its also available in the dropdown.

This inherited inconsistency is already present in the main menu and it is confusing. I don't think it is a good idea to spread the dropdown menu inconsistency to other parts of the interface.

On the other hand, if you don't include the default quote action in the dropdown list I am sure that there will be users clicking on "quote to new topic" thinking that it is the only option. For example, at simplemachines.org site there were confusions about the "Online Manual" link. Some people would just click on the only option in the dropdown list and go to the deprecated documentation instead of the new wiki. People are inclined to click on something on the list instead of the button itself. I guess the main reason for this is the dropdown menu behaviour of Windows.

I think ElkArte community should consider changing this menu behaviour completely before the first stable release.
The main issue I think, is the fact that users don't expect the "main" item of any menu to be clickable if there is a dropdown.
I've seen in other places as well.

I think that a possible alternative is to have no dropdown by "hovering", but a distinct element that opens the dropdown, an arrow close to the buttons that have a dropdown: if the user selects the menu item it opes the corresponding element, it the user clicks on the arrow it opens the dropdown with the "shortcuts".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

QuoteThis inherited inconsistency is already present in the main menu and it is confusing
I assume you are referring to the fact that the main menu buttons have a default action which is not necessary shown in the menu's dropdown.

Regarding the theme, it sounds like we are heading to not use what was/is the default theme anyway, as such it does not really matter how much it sucks at this point :P  I do agree that the message buttons do not act sensibly at the moment, nor are the titles / default actions of them ideal.  If you have suggestions, those are always welcome!

Reply #3

The simplest way to ensure consistency here, is to just always have an action as submenu, when there is a dropdown. That is, no default action, only open the dropdown.
I feel that's rather a poor idea but I'm not sure how much would it 'complicate' user's way through the menu: what am I missing here?
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #4

Quote from: TestMonkey – The simplest way to ensure consistency here, is to just always have an action as submenu, when there is a dropdown. That is, no default action, only open the dropdown.
I feel that's rather a poor idea but I'm not sure how much would it 'complicate' user's way through the menu: what am I missing here?
Actually this is the most common dropdown menu behaviour. At least it is obvious that there won't be any confusion.

Reply #5

After reviewing several other content management systems, I plan to make a suggestion about the design of the top menu and the subitems as a whole. (Some of the dropdown list items are redundant. Settings and features are jumbled together in some places.) I don't have the necessary coding background, so I can just explain it verbally and schematically. Is this acceptable?

Reply #6

I don't see why not :) If you think there's an issue, speak so others may listen and act accordingly. Coding background shouldn't be a pre-requisite to making a suggestion.

Reply #7

QuoteAfter reviewing several other content management systems, I plan to make a suggestion about the design of the top menu and the subitems as a whole. (Some of the dropdown list items are redundant. Settings and features are jumbled together in some places.) I don't have the necessary coding background, so I can just explain it verbally and schematically. Is this acceptable?

Sure thing! Please, feel welcome to. Verbally and schematically is perfectly fine, there is no need for coding experience. :)

As for coding background, regardless of background, if you're in the mood to try your hand at it, you're welcome to, as well. I mean, there's no need to worry about background, we can help if you wish to try, and it's fine either way.
Thank you!
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #8

As an average (maybe slightly above average) pc user, it is not realistic for me to get involved in actually coding this. :)
I will spend some time on the layout and try to come up with a draft. Thank you.