Skip to main content
Topic: Quick moderation (Read 9120 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Quick moderation

Reply #15

Checkboxes, only, forever. Keep it simple, keep it clean.

Reply #16

The idea of hovering over a checkbox to get a menu is cool..but what to do with touch devices - touch the errr..checkbox? :)

Inclined to agreed with Arantor, checkboxes are great as is. One idea would be to make the actual choice buttons (those that do the work when checkboxes are ticked) stay fixed on the page. That way you could tick a few - or just one - and still be able to do the action without having to scroll down. The fixed bar could set in when any checks are being ticked, perhaps.

On that note..I might try this as an idea myself. :D

Reply #17

You'll be in good company, it's basically what XenForo does.

Reply #18

Tried it now and keeping it. :) The idea of making the moderationbuttons fixed that is. I'll probably take out the option of showing mini-links/buttons too and just have the checkboxes. Attached a few screenshots.. 1) no checkboxes checked 2) one(or several) checked

Reply #19

^ Make that the default Accept no substitutes. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #20

Time to give this old topic a kick  :P

There are a few items, I'll place them in separate posts.  First up is Quick Moderation on the topic (display.template) page.

Currently, If you have show QM as icons,
  • You get the button bar across the bottom like :: [move] [remove] [lock] [sticky] [merge]
  • Specific buttons depends on permissions
  • lock / sticky may say un lock or un sticky based on the topic status
  • There are no icons on this page, hence the name show as icons :P

Currently,  If you have show QM as checkboxes
  • You get all of the above PLUS a checkbox next to each message in that thread
  • Selecting the checkbox exposes the option to [remove] or [split] selected messages
  • Button bar is still at the bottom of all the messages

Simple enough, using icons you loose access to certain actions.

Current View
display_current_ns.jpg display_current_sel.jpg

I've updated the code on my local to drop use icons and made the change such that when you click one of the checkboxes, the button bar will sticky itself to the bottom of the page such that you don't have to scroll to find it.

New View
display_new_sel.jpg
Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:03:16 pm by Spuds

Reply #21

Next up is Quick Moderation (QM) in the Topic Listing (messageindex.template)

Currently, If you have show QM as icons,
  • You do not get a button bar across the bottom
  • You do get UP TO 4 icons next to each message : [move] [remove] [lock] [sticky]
  • The icons that appear are based on your permissions for that message
  • You do not have QM access to approve, restore, merge or mark as read (individual)

Currently, If you have show QM as checkboxes
  • You get a Select Pulldown at the bottom with [approve] [remove] [lock/un] [sticky/un] [move] [merge] [mark as read]
  • There is a Move to Select that is only active if you select Move from the above Select
  • A Checkbox next to each topic
  • Selecting the checkbox exposes nothing

Simple enough, using icons, once again, looses quick access to certain actions.

Current View
index_current_icons.jpg index_current_sel.jpg

I've updated the code on my local to drop the use Icons and the checkbox select has been replaced with a button bar similar to what you have on the display page.  I can't think of any reason to be providing different UI experiences on different pages for what is basically the same functionality.

I also changed is so the button bar is not visible until you select one of the checkboxes, and then it becomes visible and is stuck to the bottom of the viewport.  It (like display) also shows a counter indicating number of topics that action could be applied to.  Also to minimize the number of buttons, approve/restore only become visible if you select, say a message that needs to be approved.

New View
index_new_ns.jpg index_new_sel.jpg
Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:02:11 pm by Spuds

Reply #22

Ok, that'll work.

BTW, I recently ditched the "jump to" on MessageIndex and Display. Reason being that, in all the years I've been using SMF/Elk, the only time I have ever used either "jump to" was when I needed to test them to make sure they worked. Apart from that, never use them at all, so ditched them. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #23

I should have also noted above that the icons were IMO unfriendly to use.  Small click zone and proximity to each other on/across messages.

I was also wondering about the usefulness of the jump to box .. Mostly because I noticed a small bug that I had to fix, so it was not actually working right anyway.  Never being reported shows how much its used.

The jumpbox also has the odd "on hover" loading behavior.  This causes a delay when you go to use the control, with the bonus that row may jump / reflow.  I moved that to an after load event as a test but may now just drop the stupid thing.

Reply #24

Yeah, jump to is a pain in the plumbers crack.
And I don't remember to have ever used it either.

I like that @Spuds is always able to put in practice what I can barely describe.:laughing:
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

I have topic display and topic listing done ... still have to look at search and ?? is it new posts?  can't remember right now.  Well at least each implementation of QM is different so it keeps you sharp LOL

Reply #26

That's the funny part of it :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #27

I always used checkboxes and not icons, Jump To probably used a couple of times in the last 5 years.
I like what you did with the button bar on the bottom, but what happens when you change page, it will keep those topic selected and display the button bar?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #28

Quote from: radu81 – ... what happens when you change page, it will keep those topic selected and display the button bar?
Good question ... right now I do not think it does.  
Was that the behavior with the previous select box?
I guess that could be useful only for merging topics maybe?  Of course if its across multiple pages you may have to play find waldo to remove the bar (or log out / in to clear your session)

Reply #29

Across pages is one of those things that are quite cool to have, but quite annoying to code because I'd say using session is the only way (unless you pass stuff through the URL, but that's so uncool I think) and session, to me, is always a pain.
The old select box worked only for the current page as far as I remember.
Multi-page I see it potentially useful in case of spam bombarding (i.e. you want to delete a bunch of pages of topics/posts in one go), but sounds like a rather edge case that I would not be bothered.:man_shrugging:
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.