Skip to main content
Topic: A reference for Ant (Read 8507 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A reference for Ant

Reply #15

This is turning into an "Editor Tweaks" thread. Might as well add another one.

I cannot see the point of having the text blurb above the quick reply editor. It's a quick reply form. They're common these days. Anyone will know what it is. They may have required an explanation in 1990, but these days anyone will read the blurb and think "Well d'oh".

If it's removed that will save some space, and be less work for i18n. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

Some good suggestions, and you know I love to remove BBC codes.

So the summary so far:
1) remove the "whats quick reply for" text,
2) shift the quote button ... where ... could move it to the front of that "block" and then shift that "block" to be the first in the second row?
3) nuke or combine pre/tt ... the only use for those that I know of is when posting tabulated data where you need the monospaced font. 

Reply #17

Quote from: groundup – Drop pre and tt. Code handles pre and tt can be done with fonts.

This is preformatted text in a pre tag. This is preformatted text in a pre tag. This is preformatted text in a pre tag. This is preformatted text in a pre tag. This is preformatted text in a pre tag.

Code: (Title) [Select]
This is preformatted text in a code tag. This is preformatted text in a code tag. This is preformatted text in a code tag. This is preformatted text in a code tag. This is preformatted text in a code tag. This is preformatted text in a code tag. 

Eh, code handles pre marginally well. The Code: (Title) part of the header is a bit strange and unintuitive.  The code highlighting is awful if you're trying to display blocks of text. The best is actually to combine quote and pre, like so:

This is preformatted text in a pre tag inside a quote box. This is preformatted text in a pre tag inside a quote box. This is preformatted text in a pre tag inside a quote box. This is preformatted text in a pre tag inside a quote box. This is preformatted text in a pre tag inside a quote box.

Reply #18

Pre is meant to be used for pre-formatted text, not for monospace fonts, so the current use of it makes no sense anyway. Since the wysiwyg will accept pre-formatted text, I see no reason to keep the pre tag. It may have made sense in the old days.

Not sure about button order yet. If tables are the only realistic use for teletype, perhaps those two buttons should be together. Having quote, code, spoiler and footnote together probably makes sense, with image, url and email kept as they are.

And yeah, what is "Code: (Title) [Select]" supposed to mean? I know it's a code tag, and the select bit makes sense, but why text saying "(Title)"?

Reply #19

Quote from: Antechinus – And yeah, what is "Code: (Title) [Select]" supposed to mean? I know it's a code tag, and the select bit makes sense, but why text saying "(Title)"?
To add a code description like it has been used for ages:
Code: (find) [Select]
something
Code: (replace with) [Select]
something else
or:
Code: (from Action.class.php) [Select]
class Action
No biggies if removed, but is nice to have. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

Oh ok. So it'd probably be clearer if it didn't say "Title" when there was nothing entered there. Coz then there aint no title. :D

Also doesn't really need brackets and a colon. One or the other would make more sense, in terms of punctuation.

Reply #21

Well... it never says title... :P

Code: [Select]
without param
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #22

Well unless you add it in :P
Code: (WTF) [Select]
Stuff
Hey why does that say WTF, it makes no sense to me !!! Now I'm outraged at seeing that even though I entered it there. :P

Reply #23

OK, so blame ET. :P And it could still lose the brackets.

Reply #25

Code: (Ignore her, she's stupid) [Select]
:P