Skip to main content
Topic: Elky Logo (Read 32107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Elky Logo

Reply #15

Xarcell,
Thank you for the work on it! That's a surprising Elk, very elegant, and abstract.
Just to note, the spelling we use is ElkArte.

LOL @ Ant.
Thank yer! So, say, Elk looks fat in your view, huh? I understand Feature Cat, but Elk is much leaner and cleaner than that cat-thing. It ain't like that.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #16

emanuele likes it O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Quote from: Antechinus – I did this one last night, just for fun.
I like it too. :) No, seriously, this is a good direction, rather than a passive symbol. You are already doing the wordgame of ElkArte, so why not? A bit more elegance on the font and its killer IMO.

Reply #18

I'm totally open to font ideas for it, but I agree on the good direction. It'll make people happy. This is not a bad thing.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #19

Mmm... I'd rather see Xar's logo a little less abstract, to suggest more of an Elk  O:-)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #20

Another attempt...

Reply #21

Thats certainly not an elk lol. Elegant symbol no doubt..but still think humour is a better way.

What do we know about the elk animal? long face/head, a bit more fisty than moose and king of the forest of course. There's a few pointers there I think.

Reply #22

Quote from: Bloc – Thats certainly not an elk lol. Elegant symbol no doubt..but still think humour is a better way.

What do we know about the elk animal? long face/head, a bit more fisty than moose and king of the forest of course. There's a few pointers there I think.

Why isn't it an elk?

Reply #23

Ah, my apologies. It seems I am thinking of the european version of "elk" which looks like moose almost, while you US citizens think of the deerlike creature. In that case its more a correct image.

Though i liked the "moose" better :) it seems its not. oh well.

Reply #24

It doesn't matter to me, but it was discussed in another topic that the american "elk" is what we are using. If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. I know Nao said that he thought "Elkarte" represented an "Elk tree" & "Art". I always read it as "El Karte", which I thought was some other language...

Reply #25

try it in translate.google.com  ;)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #26

I got "baskian" language when auto-detecting the "elkarte" word. Which means "associations" in english..lol, now I am really confused.

I guess its something with Spain then(..).

EDIT: and btw, when I write "elk" in it, it translates to norwegian "elg" - which is the moose. :D

Reply #27

Elkarte is Basque for "community". It's obviously European, although not Indo-European. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with either elks or mooses, however you care to define such critters.

It started being called Elk just for fun and because it was shorter. This then led to pictures of critters with antlers and stuff. Me, I'm happy with the green moose, and I don't mind if that annoys the Yanks. Having a moose will probably annoy some Basques too, since they'll be wondering what these silly mugs are doing wth their word, which has nothing to do with either elks or mooses, or any other ruminants of the antlered variety. You can't please everyone all the time.

Anyway, the funny green moose is fun. The funny penguin works for Linux, and they have managed to create a good professional reputation for their software. They could do this because the software was good enough for the job.

Reply #29

Yeah I know, but it's fun. AFAIK it's not being used by any particular project, and it's an open source image, and nobody else has a green one.

Anyway, the main point was that there's no need to get hung up over one person's definition of what an elk is.