[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47766 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #90

Apart from the "my account" VS "{user name}", I don't remember if I already proposed it, so I do it now. :P
At the moment there are 3 buttons related to "recent activity":
recent posts (under "community"),
* new replies
Why not merge them together into one tlb (top level button O:-)) with a drop of three elements?
Dunno: "recent", "updates", "unread", "fresh air", "things that happened in the last period and you may not be yet aware of", something like that. :P

Also about "new posts": I like it more than the "unread replies since your last visit" (or whatever it was), but I tend to read it like "new post" (i.e. click here to start a new post/topic). Is it only me?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #91

Because it would introduce an extra step to using the most heavily used functionality, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. My 2c is that the most heavily used stuff should be right there and usable with one click. Droppies (IMO) should be for stuff you might want sometimes, but don't want all the time.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #92

I agree with that. I think it should be easily accessible.

However, wording is a little confusing indeed. Maybe "Unread Posts" and "Unread Replies" would work better?

Reply #93

They are unread because they are new, yes? :D

Reply #94

Quote from: Antechinus – They are unread because they are new, yes? :D

Too confusing with "New Post" if you ask me.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #95

Ok, I'm not that fussed about it. Anyone can change the language strings if they want to. I wont argue.

Reply #96

Bumpity! ;D

K, so you demented monkeys want the user area hidden somewhere strange, right?

And we're going back to separate Admin and Mod tabs for the main menu, yes?

Anything else?

Reply #97

Well, my argument is that the profile stuff is not part of the 'site' stuff, if that makes sense. Site content is the site's (so all the normal menu stuff should be attach to the 'site') while profile, PMs and user area stuff should be out of that because it's not really part of the site.

I'd also go and argue that admin and mod tabs should be taken out of the site main menu for the same reason, they're not site content as such.

Reply #98

Quote from: Arantor – Well, my argument is that the profile stuff is not part of the 'site' stuff, if that makes sense. Site content is the site's (so all the normal menu stuff should be attach to the 'site') while profile, PMs and user area stuff should be out of that because it's not really part of the site.

I'd also go and argue that admin and mod tabs should be taken out of the site main menu for the same reason, they're not site content as such.

^ Wot he sed
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #99

I really do think you're getting too carried away if you also want to hide admin and mod tabs eslewhere. To my mind, that would be just dogma for the sake of dogma and just plain annoying.

What on earth is wrong with having menu functionallity in a menu? All of these buttons just link to various parts of the site. Yes, parts of the site. That's what they all do. Admin is still "site stuff" because action=admin is as much a part of the site as action=forum.

Reply #100

SMF is the only forum platform that puts the admin and moderation links in the main site navigation menu like that. You can't tell me that all the others are just copying each other in not doing it that way.

Reply #101

My argument still applies.

Ok then, where do you propose hiding admin and mod stuff? Bearing in mind that presumably you'll want to keep the visible notifications for various things in admin and mod, which means you presumably will want those tabs in a prominent location.

Main menu is kinda prominent yes? And also means not yet another pile of stuff cluttering up the place, right? So?

Reply #102

I'd actually put them up where the search bar is now, and I'd bring that back down out of the header into the area where the content is...

I just wouldn't put the admin/mod buttons next to the actual other buttons. Mind you, the Elk layout does make it difficult to explain where this stuff should go by comparison to other systems. Most other systems put a bar at the top of the screen where the profile, inbox, and admin/mod stuff lives - out of the way of the core site stuff itself.

Reply #103

Well IPB does it that way. vB always used to hide admin stuff at the bottom of the page or somewhere, IIRC. Honestly though, I'm not that impressed with the IPB gui in general, and personally am not inclined to duplicate it just for the sake of duplicating it.

So, basically you want two rows of buttons up top. Admin and mod over at the left in top row. Some generic username-labelled button over at the right in the top row, with a whole lot of stuff under it in a droppy. Then the usual menu (or what's left of it) in the current location on a second row.

Then presumably the search form in one line above the linktree stuff. Which means I suppose that for non-admins and non-mods the current search form location would have to be filled up with the date/time (which I did try before and I can tell you it doesn't look as good, which is why I moved it).

I can visualise what you are suggesting, but I honestly cannot see how it would be better in terms of either looks or functionality.

Reply #104

Ok, thought. If we are going with the user stuff up the top right, then presumably the log out button would be somewhere there too (probably in a user droppy). So, we could split Admin and Mod tabs over to the right of the menu bar, where log out sits at the moment. That way it wouldn't be necessary to re-jig the whole theme, which IMO is a good thing since it already looks good and works.