Skip to main content
Topic: Theme install limit (Read 8074 times) previous topic - next topic

Theme install limit

Just thought you'd all like to know, the one and only Crip (theme maker) hit the install limit for themes today. lol  He has installed so many themes that SMF puked on him when he tried to install his 256th theme. Apparently theme_id in the smf_themes table is only a tinyint(4) :D. Maybe we could bump that up to a smallint. Rare case I know, but hey we cater to all right? ;)
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Re: Theme install limit

Reply #1

lol ... thats pretty funny really ... easy change.  

We should probably keep a db change list item on Git so we get them all ... this one and the one Ema reported for that site with 750k items in the modlog :P ... that one just needs another index, could be some others as well. 

Reply #2

That makes a grand total of two sites that ever needed it - Crip and smfthemes.org.

The only thing is, it's only one more byte in the themes table, but that's one more byte for every row - and it's potentially a lot of rows, seeing how that's user preferences, theme options, custom field values - and it all adds up.

Reply #3

I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to update 255 themes.
~((0040 + 0x20) + (0b111 << 1))
"You never said something, for me, to penny mention work a barbecue pit." ~ Gilligan

Reply #4

I've only got to 38*, and that's after years of being a bit nutty about themes.

*Meaning the site is up to id=38.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Quote from: Arantor – That makes a grand total of two sites that ever needed it - Crip and smfthemes.org.

The only thing is, it's only one more byte in the themes table, but that's one more byte for every row - and it's potentially a lot of rows, seeing how that's user preferences, theme options, custom field values - and it all adds up.
Does it take more than just a quick alter to the column to make it smallint?

If not, I'd agree with you, little point in succumbing to the mad men :P
Quote from: Spuds – lol ... thats pretty funny really ... easy change.  

We should probably keep a db change list item on Git so we get them all ... this one and the one Ema reported for that site with 750k items in the modlog :P ... that one just needs another index, could be some others as well.  
The modlog would probably fill a bit quicker with more than 255 themes too :P

Reply #6

QuoteDoes it take more than just a quick alter to the column to make it smallint?

I don't think so, but there may be some other logic attached that I don't remember.

But the fact is you're still adding an extra byte for every user's preference for every theme, plus whatever that does to the indexes... it all helps to keep it tight if possible.

Reply #7

My 2c: nobody apart from a nutter running a theme demo site will ever hit this limit, therefore it can be dealt with by anyone who needs to deal with it. It doesn't really need to be sorted by default.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #8

Quote from: Antechinus – My 2c: nobody apart from a nutter running a theme demo site will ever hit this limit, therefore it can be dealt with by anyone who needs to deal with it. It doesn't really need to be sorted by default.

THIS. :)

Reply #9

mmm...what about make the column not autoincrement?
The drawback would be that a theme may ends up into another theme's id if not dealt with carefully, that in general may be annoying, but not so terrible (i.e. in the worst case a wrong setting, but no security issues).

It would be a bit of a pain, though, and in general I don't know how much worth the hassle...
Exterminated?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

How did you end up fixing this, if at all? :)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #11

Calling it a design choice?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Hmm, move to exterminated then, personally, I agree 256 themes are enough xD
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~