Skip to main content
Topic: Unread replies (Read 2762 times) previous topic - next topic

Unread replies

I'm not sure if something is configured incorrectly.  Clicking on a board's icon, which should show unread posts, instead shows there are no new posts.  However, entering the board yields the "New" icon which will indeed lead to the unread section of the thread, as it should.  New Posts and New Replies at the top of the page also show no new messages.  Can anyone spare wisdom?  It is much appreciated!

Re: Unread replies

Reply #1

Maybe the threads with the new icon are "new" from visits in the past?

ElkArte (SMF too) differences between "new since last visit" and "new at all". Or better: "unread since last visit" and "unread at all". That's important to understand and I myself described this difference exactly in my (only german, sorry) online tutorial about ElkArte.

So it can be that the big icon of a board shows no new topics or postings, and the buttons "new replies" or "new posts" in the header too. But there are threads in a board index with a "new" icon in front of their subject lines. That is because these threads have unread postings from a long time ago, and you never did read them. The big board icon and the buttons in the header only show new postings since your last visit!

So if you have new replies when clicking on the so named button in the header, try it: Don't read them, log out, then log in again, and the button should show no more new replies since your last visit.

I wish my english would be better so I could explain it much better.  :-[

Reply #2

Quote from: Jorin – I wish my english would be better so I could explain it much better.  :-[

You explanation is just fine.  Mine, on the other hand, may not be great. 

To set the stage - this is a brand new install.  There aren't many posts yet.  So let's say another member posts while I'm online.  The big board icon shows there are new posts.  Clicking the big board icon should show those new posts right?  But then it says there are no messages.  What could be wrong? 

Thanks for the reply. 

Reply #3

Hm, that's strange and should not happen. Please try to check this:

• Are you using a subdomain for your forum? If yes, you have to set the cookie management to use subdomain independent cookies.
  • Try to find errors with the forum maintenance and clear the file cache and unneccessary protocols there too.
  • Try to change the name of your forums cookie to a specific one. Then emtpy the cookies of your browser (and maybe the cache too) and try again.
  • Does this happen with another browser too?

Reply #4

hmm...
Let's see.
I marked the support board as read on my 2nd account Orange-kun, now I'm posting this message and I'm going to check what will show the icon.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Jorin – Hm, that's strange and should not happen. Please try to check this:

• Are you using a subdomain for your forum? If yes, you have to set the cookie management to use subdomain independent cookies.
  • Try to find errors with the forum maintenance and clear the file cache and unneccessary protocols there too.
  • Try to change the name of your forums cookie to a specific one. Then emtpy the cookies of your browser (and maybe the cache too) and try again.
  • Does this happen with another browser too?

1.  No, though cookies are set for subdomain independent cookies.
2. No errors in the log, cleared the cache to no avail.
3. No luck here either.
4.  Yes.  FF, Chrome, Safari, Android, IE.

Yes, it's working fine for me here.  Not sure what I have wrong. 

If it matters php version is 5.5.29, mysql 5.5.42-cll