Skip to main content
Topic: 2 features (topic prefixes, joinable groups) (Read 4283 times) previous topic - next topic

2 features (topic prefixes, joinable groups)

Is there plans to add topic prefix's so admin can edit them and decided which boards they want then added to, Also joinable groups, and not user groups more like social groups that members can join and discuss. IE gaming, graphics ETC...

Re: 2 features (topic prefixes, joinable groups)

Reply #1

Nice suggestion in my opinion. May be as add on if not as core feature.

Reply #2

How do social groups differ from user groups?

I don't think topic prefix will be used by that many. Sounds better as a mod to me.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

I think the idea is something "similar" to G+ circles, so that a user can create a group of people and... do something with that group (e.g. send a PM to that group, or set privacy related settings based on that groups, etc.).
Another way to see it would be an "extension" of buddies, so that there is not only the distinction "buddies" VS "non-buddies", but you can had different "kind" of buddies (friends, family, ex-lovers, etc.).
If it is something like that... well, TBH I was thinking that it would be interesting to have (that doesn't mean I'm going to code it, but it means it would be interesting to see how it works out if coded).

About tags, I started an addon a while ago (I'm pretty sure I posted something about it), but nothing really "usable".

In both cases, for sure the first step in adding new features would be to create an addon for them with a suitable license. This for several reasons: it allows to "track" usage, it allows a faster release cycle of the new feature so that bugs can be fixed faster and a "core" release doesn't have to hold longer than needed, etc.
Once an addon exists and works, merge it into the core is a matter of "minutes". ;)

@Allan just a small suggestion, the same as for bugs, it's usually better to have 1 feature => 1 topic, this mainly because otherwise discussions tend to diverge and becomes difficult to track what each one is actually talking about. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Addons would not be a problem at all for me, as far as the groups yes Emanuele it's like G+ circles.

Reply #5

I was thinking about that as a preliminary step for the "generalization" of the attachments into something closer to a gallery.
I see this as preliminary, in order to give a better level of control over who can and cannot access the content uploaded (in my mind, when uploading a file, the user will be able to decide if the file will be visible to anyone or one or more groups of "friends").

My current idea would be something rather simple, with the possibility to create "positive" groups (i.e. similar to multiple buddy groups).
And "accessibility" will be positive as well (i.e. if you pick a group only those in that group will be able to access).
I'd keep the "ignore list" as a separated and unique thing, because it works the other way around (i.e. it should be used to hide someone else content to *me*).

About the design, I have in mind two tables:
1) one to hold the groups created by the users, with a structure: id_buddygroup, id_member (the owner), name, description? (is that needed? I feel not), public (i.e. anyone can see the members in this group or not), color? (a color to highlight members in this group)
2) one to keep the list of people belonging to a certain group, with structure: id_buddygroup, id_member.

I think that should be enough for now.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Good questions for which I have no good answers   O:-)

I'll still rolling around in my head how this should work, and there is a lot of space in my head, so .....

Permissions are confusing to admin of boards, and complete madness to a user.

Maybe when you add an attachment, the default is that its a "resusable" attachment, meaning its added to your gallery where you can attach it again.  At that point it has the same permissions users that can see that board permissions and maybe you can't change that? 

Just thinking that if we allow those permissions to change, then it becomes ugly for the users of the forum.  Meaning some members can and other could not see an attachment in a post .. seems confusing to a user/admin.  So maybe its an add only at that point?  Thats kind of how an attachment works today, if you can see a board, you can see an attachment unless specifically denied at a user level.

Then there is the option to add directly to your gallery.  If you set permissions there and then later use it in a post, should we warn that some members may not be able to see this attachment? Or simply let the existing board permissions / user permissions to just take car of it.

There is the issue of letting others browse my attachments, but if the permissions are based on board, then it seems easy-ish.  If you attach in a board they can't see, they can see it.  If you re-use it in a board that add's, then it adds permissions.

Just random thoughts.

Reply #7

Very good thoughts! The idea of a thread full of users talking about the attached files and pictures, but some users see them and some not (and then they are asking again and again: "What are you talking about? I can't see any pictures!"), makes my head spin around!

Reply #8

I rather prefer joinable thread...

Reply #9

The situation is for sure complex, but we wanted a forum and so we have a complex system to deal with, if we want something easy there is wordpress and one of its "forum-like" extensions where as far as I know everything is visible to everybody. :P J/K (But not that much.)

The fundamental problem is: should the admin decide who can see "our" files, or should be the file owner?
As easy as that.

Then, of course, everything can become as complex as possible.

If is the admin that can decide, then we are stuck basically with attachments where the board is the "king": you attach a file to a message (or a PM) and you are done with it, any other use is dictated by the permissions bound to that board, to the point that if the admin decides to restrict you from accessing that board you do not have access to your own file any more, or if the admin decides to open it world wide your only option is to delete it (if you ever realize).
And you may have topics full of people that cannot see a file even in that case: a person attaches a file to a restricted board and then he reuses it on an open one => "OMGZ! I cannot see the file!". ;) And change permissions would mean find the "most open" message in the list of those that have that particular attachment attached... TBH, to me, it sounds like a terrible mess.

If the owner is "in control" of the access things are slightly easier. Each file has attached an "everybody can see" or a "only someone can see" that is directly assessable when the file is used. And there are plenty of ways to deal with the "you are embedding a file that only some of the members will be able to see, are you sure?" thing, and fix the permission is as easy as tick "everybody".

Quote from: Spuds – Permissions are confusing to admin of boards, and complete madness to a user.
I wrote "permissions", but in the sense of "who belongs to that group can see the file". Stop.
So, the workflow would be:
upload
a popup opens (or something else in the interface) asking "who do you want to share this attachment with?" list of checkboxes: everybody ticked by default), only registered users, friends, family, any other custom group the user has created (so he likely know what he is doing), some of the member groups created by the admin. "OK" <= 1 button.
95% of the people will just click "OK" and be done with the everybody can see. The remaining 5% will be able to tweak the access to cope with their privacy concerns.

I'm not a facebook user, but I seem to remember FB has a similar way... let me see, I think it's that one:
https://www.facebook.com/help/459934584025324/
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: ahrasis – I rather prefer joinable thread...
???
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Yep, but with facebook the whole "post" (and then with all commentaries) can be made visible or not to all others or only your friends - not only the attached file.  ;)

Reply #12

But then again, we are talking about attachments just because they should become more like a gallery, so not really "only" attachments. ;)
But well, if the general opinion is different from mine, I'm mostly fine, it means I'll find a way to code it for my needs. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Create a gallery then!  ;D

Just kiddin'!

Reply #14

Like I said I'm not sure how to handle it at all.

I've often found gallery permissions to cumbersome for regular users.  Heck we know sometimes users can't find the vote button on a page, you can imagine how they may deal with a large set of permissions selection list.  Anyway just thinking about the complexity for them and how to maybe minimize it.

Today when you attach, its assumed that everyone that can see that board will see the attachments.  I think you would have to be in a user group with view attachment permission denied to not see it.  Either way its kind of transparent to the uploader of the attachment.  The attachment has implied permissions = members that can see the board. 

So when you attach would the option be a simple "public" or "board" permissions check box (and I was thinking it assumes board if you do nothing) or would the list be all of the member groups to pick an choose. And Of course that list depends on permissions as well :P

Maybe examples are easier, not sure, so I'll make something up to try.

Board A = Admins only
Board B = Users only
Board C = Special only
Board D = Guests

Attach in D, everyone can see
Attach in A, only admins can see
Attach in B, Admins and Users can see
Attach in C, Admin and Special can see

Reuse one you used in A on C ... The choices are a notice that only admins can see it Or a popup to allow to add guests to the list or Automatically add guests to the list, Or others?

Resue C in B, Same choices as above I think, its a restricted going to a less restrictive choice

Reuse B in C, could be different, its a loose going to a restrictive.  Generally the same people would already be able to see that but you never know.  So now you could allow to restrictions to be only C, removing B permissions even though its still used in B (confusing), or simply just add C in the case someone may be in C that is not in B.

Probably some other examples would be better so we can understand the issues?