Skip to main content
Topic: Search APIs and some refactoring (Read 6395 times) previous topic - next topic

Search APIs and some refactoring

I don't know if you guys ever looked at the Search API stuff in SMF but I'm quickly coming to hate it. I assume this hasn't been changed much in Elk, so I thought I'd mention it.

For the record, I already killed off full text entirely (made life difficult unnecessarily so for other matters), and I'm bundling Sphinx (via SphinxQL, none of this GPL API nonsense) and hopefully ElasticSearch.

Now, when the API structure was originally written, it was basically written for Sphinx which at the time had its own scheduled updating and that was that - there was no option to do real time updates or anything, and Elastic Search seems to prefer incremental updating anyway.

The problem, of course, is that the Search API is all about providing read interfacing and no write interfacing; there's no way to call the Sphinx insert command or the cURL PUT to ES. Heck, even the custom index is directly updated in createPost rather than invoking the API to do it.

As I said, I don't know if you guys updated that or not, but it would be very nice if you made the APIs pluggable both for reading and writing :)