Skip to main content
Topic: Favicon (Read 3624 times) previous topic - next topic

Favicon

Good day,

I've replaced the favicon.ico file in the forums root directory and I've cleared the forum cache via maintenance, but the favicon for my forums is still the ElkArte icon. Am I missing steps?

Thanks,

- Mark

Re: Favicon

Reply #1

The software actually uses a file called mobile.png as the favicon. Replace it with the file you want. 

On a side note, on a Windows PC you don't need a convertor to/from .png to .ico and vice versa. Simply change the file extension and you're done. 

Reply #2

Thank you much!

Reply #3

Well, this is embarrassing... I can't get it to work out. I made my favicon to be mobile.png in Photoshop, saved it, and uploaded it to the root of my web site. Then I uploaded it to the root of the forums directory. Then I found another mobile.png in the default theme directory, so I uploaded my mobile.png there and overwrote that. Still doesn't work. I'm missing something somewhere. :(

Reply #4

mobile.png is in the theme images folder depending on which theme you are using. Overwrite it with your own and refresh / clear caches. It should work immediately in most cases.

Reply #5

As others suggested, browse to your theme directory and look for mobile.png in it. Now replace the file with yours and try hard refresh your browser (Ctrl + F5)
Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:58:59 pm by Jason

Reply #6

Quote from: Jason –  Now replace the file with yours and try hard refresh your browser (Ctrl + F5)
 This will surely help ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

Whatever it was worked - I tried using Microsoft Edge, which I've never even loaded before. I'll be damned, but Chrome is holding onto the old image as tightly as it possibly can. :)

Reply #8

Yeah chrome can hold onto the previous version for a while ... especially if its a bookmark or pinned tab. 

If you view the page source .... near the top you will see a meta tag "shortcut_icon"  that link will be your image.  Make sure thats correct (simply click that link) and if it is, you are done, just wait for chrome to catch up (and doing the "ctrl+f5" now and then will help flush the browser cache)