Skip to main content
Topic: After changing the e-mail address, the forum disappeared (Read 2680 times) previous topic - next topic

After changing the e-mail address, the forum disappeared

Hello,
I tried to change the e-mail address that is entered in the configuration. After I entered the new address and clicked on "Save", the whole forum disappeared. There are only white pages left.
How can I get the forum back now? :o

forum-email-change.png
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Re: After changing the e-mail address, the forum disappeared

Reply #1

That is very odd.

The only thing I can think of is that something corrupted your Settings.php file (that is where the webmaster email address and other items are stored).   If you have access to your forums base directory there should be a Settings_bak.php file (the system makes a backup before it makes the edits),

Try to rename your current Settings.php -to> Settings.php.old and then Settings_bak.php -to> Settings.php and see if things come back on line.

Reply #2

It worked! The forum is back. Thank you!
Before uploading the Settings.php I have entered the new address on that page and the addy is now displayed correct in the server settings. :)
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Reply #3

Awesome, glad it worked :D

Reply #4

These weird corruption of settings.php are weird. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

There was something similar already reported
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Yeah, every once in a while something weird happens.
Unless... it's still the "old" but with the maintenance message containing single quotes that are not properly escaped (I think it was fixed, though I don't remember exactly when).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Could it be something wrongly entered in that field was causing that?

Reply #8

In theory not. But as usual theory is one thing, reality is another.
There was a while ago (still in SMF) a vulnerability for which single quotes were not escaped and so entering a single quote in any field meant to be saved was going to break php syntax in Settings.php and make the forum crash. Though, as far as I remember that was fixed. The side-effect of this fix (or something close) was introduce another bug related to new lines in the maintenance message that was going to mess again the syntax of Settings.php. And this is the one I think has been fixed, but don't remember when.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.