Skip to main content
Topic: Migration from SMF to Elkarte - advice? (Read 5089 times) previous topic - next topic

Migration from SMF to Elkarte - advice?

I have at last got the Elkarte board setup and running on a test site.  The next stage will be to migrate the old forum database from SMF 1.1.20 to Elkarte, is there an installer that can handle the SMF 1.1.20 database (without the need of a forum SMF 2 upgrade)?

Any other tips for the migration to be easy would be much appreciated.. ;)

Re: Migration from SMF to Elkarte - advice?

Reply #1

OpenImporter should be able to handle the direct conversion without problems. To be completely honest I have not tested it in a while.

You can find OI at: http://openimporter.github.io/openimporter/
download it, unzip the package and upload the whole "importer" directory, then point your browser to http://www.yourdomain.tld/importer/import.php and follow the instructions.

OI is designed to migrate the content without touching the source, but of course do a backup (both database and attachments) is not a bad thing anyway.

I think that's more or less all.
If you have any answer feel free to ask. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I attempted the importer and it failed with the following error (see pic)
Any ideas please?  The database password is correct and the SMF installation is active and working?

Reply #3

Right, the only one I missed [1]: the ElkArte MySQL user have to be able to access the SMF 1.1 database, alternatively the user should be the same or the database should be the same.

Sorry for missing that... :-[
sorry, but I'm little sick these days and I'm working on a newer version hopefully not affected by this problem and I forgot.
Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:57:06 am by Spuds
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Thats because I've been making changes to the 1.1 branch :P

Fixed you post to use footnote ... where is footer used?  Do we need an alias?

Reply #5

LOL
I need a working brain. facepalm
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Thanks Emanuele. I added a new user with the same username to the database to the smf database and the import went fine.  No major problems the only thing that appeared not to import were the icons of the forum members group rank.  Thanks for your guidance, probably have a few more issues before the new site goes live..

Reply #7

Yeah, some "details" are kind of difficult to import, for example member groups icons are technically theme-dependent and language-dependent, so it's not at all easy to "guess" what to do with them when you find any during the import. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I am still in the process of changing from a SMF board to the Elkarte board, and I have discovered a new problem.  The migration process transferred ok eventually, but the links on the new Elkarte forum link back to the old SMF board (see pic).

I don't suppose there is an easy fix for this?

Reply #9

The migration doesn't change any links that have added to a post as you have shown above. You will have to change those yourself by editing the posts.

Reply #10

How big is your forum? This could take a while but the query would be very easy for you. Backup first. I didn't test this query at all but it is very simple and should work. Just replace {db_prefix} with your $db_prefix and run it. I wouldn't recommend using PHPMyAdmin or anything for this though as it will most likely timeout. Use the command line.

Code: [Select]
UPDATE {db_prefix}messages
SET body = REPLACE(body, 'club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php', 'club126uk.co.uk/index.php')

Backup, backup, backup.

Reply #11

Or otherwise a simple htaccess redirect...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – Or otherwise a simple htaccess redirect...
I think it's the easiest solution, or when you finish to convert you can change the name of elkarte folder to "smf"
sorry for my bad english

Reply #13

Cute little cars!  :)

Reply #14

The htaccess solution is better since it allows people to keep all of their old links.