Skip to main content
Topic: PM as private mini-chat (Read 2659 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Rethinking the "board index"

PM as private mini-chat

Idea for the developer of the forum engine or addon.

Maybe you should create private messages in the format of a private mini-chat, instead format of a private posts? Several tasks will be solved at once:
1) Users will not seek to leave the forum and go to messengers,
2) the forum administrator will no longer need To limit the number of private messages.

This idea is implemented in one of the forum plugins WordPress.
Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:21:40 pm by forumovod

Re: PM as private mini-chat

Reply #1

@emanuele
Is it possible to embed this in the new version of ElkArte?

Reply #2

Can you please explain better what do you mean by mini-chat?
Correct me if I'm wrong, IMO a mini chat could be a PM sent to multiple members, and you can already do that in Elkarte. What you cannot do is invite other members to a PM you started. If this is what you wand, I'd say it's a nice feature.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

If he wants.chatting, he should use a chatting addon or better, use chatting software and don't use forum software, unless he is a genius inventor or a genie that can make such a thing.

My guess he is just lonely and need someone to talk to, and this forum has a very good loving community.

Reply #4

Quote from: radu81 – Can you please explain better what do you mean by mini-chat?
Correct me if I'm wrong, IMO a mini chat could be a PM sent to multiple members, and you can already do that in Elkarte. What you cannot do is invite other members to a PM you started. If this is what you wand, I'd say it's a nice feature.

Real - time chat in Personal Messages instead of email messages in Personal Messages.

screen.jpg

Reply #5

I know about this realtime thing and I already mentioned about it in another thread(s) which uses websocket technology.

To note, it is not easy to be implemented, so an addon is the best option if you want such a thing very badly and your server is capable to handle it (because my guess is it will require extra resources which may be more than ordinary?).

Reply #6

missed the real time part, I agree with you @ahrasis‍ 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

It is not necessary to do divination. You can see how it really works WP-Recall WordPress plugin.

Reply #8

QuoteGNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
             Version 2, June 1991
8)
Sorry for my English

Reply #9

The idea of having a bit more structure and proper "personal discussion" is there, though messing with PM hurts my little brain...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

You can't use websockets on your average shared hosting, end of discussion for mainline software.

Can you do AJAX polling, like all the shoutboxes used to do? Sure, then your host gets upset for using resources.

If you want to do realtime, be prepared to either pay for a big server or prepared to manage one yourself and go for an unmanaged VPS on Linode or Digital Ocean. Then, and only then, are websockets even possible to consider.

Reply #11

@Arantor weeeeell, elk already pulls once every I think 10 seconds if the number of notifications in the icon or the desktop notifications is on, so... the more the better! xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Yes but that at least starts from the position of there being something to poll for (and it polls less often than most of the ghastly shoutboxes)

Reply #13

O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.